Sunday, June 23, 2024

Saturday driving // then Sunday home

We pack up and leave Albany, not too early.
Deb has planned a leisurely drive.
We start off through Chester Pass. I think that's the Porongorups... or the Stirlings... I get them confused. Our aim is to get to Bluff Knoll Cafe for morning tea. We never see the cafe. I'm not sure what happens, I'm just the passenger, along for the ride, I think we miss a turn. Anyway it doesn't matter, it's all a nice drive. Deb drives and enjoys the peaceful roads. We do see a few signs to named mountains and see mountains well off our road.
Of course google maps is no help, there's no internet.

The road signs point to Gnowerangup -- so that's where we go.
It's a small place but it has a roadhouse, so we get good coffee and cake (vegan but still nice :-)
Gnow has a carved wood statue of Ned Kelly. Not that Ned was ever there but a local carved it and the publican paid for it.
They also have a heritage trail, we only see one point but it annoys me, every "heritage" etc  trail should use my app for people to tick off the points as they visit them. It'll never happen but it still annoys me... I'm annoyed at my lack of "push" to get the app used.

Next stop is Broomehill. We have lunch at a cafe, possibly the only cafe, in town. (Town? ha :-) Another very small and quiet town.

The cafe is in a heritage-listed building, "Jones" it says on the front. The shop is packed with fascinating "stuff". It makes me think of Antiques Roadshow, all the amazing stuff that people find in their attics and sheds. Owned and run by an 84-year old local woman, recently lost her son in a car accident, she says in passing. There are old and unusual books. Every book she sells, she claims, allows her to buy another jarrah floorboard, not that they are easy to source. Most of her floor needs replacing, it's an old building. Fascinating.

then it's an easy drove to katanning.
dinner at the dome downstairs. that's about it.

//
Sunday, we leave Katanning.
btw. the hotel makes me think, all skirt but no knickers... mostly because it's funny... but there's a lot of fancy-looking surface with annoying aspects.
the staff are all pleasant, helpful, friendly.  great country pub feeling.

and so we're home, mid afternoon. tired and hungry. a quick trip out to buy some basic groceries.
relax

phew :-)




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
===

Bandaid solutions hurt when they are removed.

...Dying for you to Read my blog: notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com


1 comment: