Tuesday, April 19, 2016

2016-04-19 Tuesday: Departure minus two

Headlines:

Tuesday. We fly out on Thursday, evening. Two days to go.
Packing: complete. Well, depends what you decide is "the essentials".
Training runs: fully tapered, half ready.
Travel journal: testing a new approach, instant online.

====

Stream of consciousness:

I plan to fill in the details here... For now, though, I'm just testing the posting technology. (Which I messed up for the first attempt!) (And on the second attempt: fine. Posted via email, update via the Blogger app. Which I'm doing now.)

Tuesday. We fly out on Thursday, evening. Two days to go.

Wrapping up the last few things before we leave. House and cat care sorted out. (Responsibility passed on, really. So it will all happen.) Misty fully briefed. Latest newsletter printed... I'll be off to help fold it, this evening. Hopefully someone else will be able to post it, tomorrow.

Packing: complete. Well, depends what you decide is "the essentials".

Well, to tell the truth: Very little packing has been done. What I have realised, though, is that I could leave immediately... Pick up the little bag with passport, itinerary and a few descriptions of where to go. Pick up my glasses and a credit card. All else can be bought on arrival in England!

Deb has made a start on her packing. I have gathered a few piles of odds and ends that will need to be packed. Wednesday will be the main packing. Thursday -- we have all day to finish.

We have two cases that we have used for the last few trips: a rather large one for Deb and a "carry-on" size for me. I was clearing a spare bedroom -- when I found another case shoved under the bed! I pulled out that case -- and found two more cases! So, out of a choice of four, I have selected a case which is too large for carry-on but still smaller than Deb's. So this time I shouldn't have to shove half my stuff into Deb's case.

Training runs: fully tapered, half ready.

Deb has been training for her half marathon. I have been following Deb's training plan. So Deb is ready to run and I am just half trained for my marathon.

Today was our last training run... We've been tapering... Just an hour's run. And it seemed like a lot of work. Oh well. Just need to run five or six times as long, in a few days' time. No worries! Eighteen hours in a plane -- cattle class -- and an eight hour shift in time zones... Jet lag... No worries at all :-)

Travel journal: testing a new approach, instant online.

My first travel journals were in notebooks... the old sort... paper notebooks. Recently I upgraded to an electronic journal: type on the tablet, post it as a draft to a blog. So It's stored online. The main benefit? As an electronic copy, it's "immediately" ready to be merged into a text-and-photo record of the holiday... something that can be kept, will last, and is easily accessible to both Deb and me.

This journey, I will go one step further: type on the tablet, post to a blog -- and publish...  So I can instantly bore more people, with tales of our travels :-)  And it's still available, in electronic form, for a later hard copy record.

This is the first test of the new journal process. I emailed the headlines. And am now adding the details -- stream of consciousness style -- via the tablet's Blogger app.

So far, so good.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
====

"A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment