Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Wed 1 Feb 2017: nothing much -- then whales

We're whale watching. Really :-)
Back to the morning...
It's a dull morning. We're sailing east. Avoiding some areas of ice -- so I'm told. We may as well be sailing straight, with nothing to see but sea in all directions. Though there are, indeed, patches of floating ice. Mostly to starboard -- south, I guess -- and very occasionally, all round.
Deb goes to a talk on whales. I walk the decks.

 

Sailing.
Deb goes to part four of the Amundsen vs Scott video. I walk the decks.

 

Sailing.
Deb goes to a talk on icebergs. I walk the decks.
At dinner I explain that I don't like crowds. The doc gives me a strange look.
After dinner...
Whale watching :-)
Nathan claims 21 or so whales in our vicinity. We're all over the ship, watching 3 or 4  whales swim and blow, perhaps flip a tail, then dive. Race to another part of the ship to see several whales do similar things in another direction. Then another group...

Great fun ! So many whales. So little that we can actually see. Just sometimes we can see a long stretch of body. Mostly it's a metre or two either side of a fin. So fascinating :-)

In Moby Dick, the ship comes across whales -- in a southern ocean, I think. There are hundreds upon hundreds of whales. Horizon to horizon. The whalers spend all day killing the things. We get excited to see twenty.
====
Next: we're heading to a very large iceberg. The captain will loop us round. Then back on course towards Balleny Islands. Another 25 hours to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment