Thursday, May 19, 2016

2016-05-18 Wednesday: With Terry and Pat in Wicklow

Headlines

Sleep Well (except for Deb), Sleep Late (except for Deb)
To Kilmacurragh Gardens! (again)
Lunch at Glendalough (and I confirm the pronunciation)
Home, Blog, Dinner...

====

Stream of Consciousness

Sleep Well (except for Deb), Sleep Late (except for Deb)

We have a sound night's sleep. And when I say "we", I mean me. Deb has a bit of a restless night. And wakes up before me. Well, I wake up, make sympathetic sounds... then go back to sleep.

Breakfast: Pat makes pancakes, very nice. Terry introduces me to cinnamon sugar with maple syrup. We discuss possible ideas for the day...

To Kilmacurragh Gardens! (again)

We are driven to Kilmacurragh Gardens. It was once someone's house (or mansion!) and gardens. The house is in ruins, the gardens are being restored and rebuilt. It's very beautiful, lots of trees and flowers and green... I admire the general beauty. Deb and Terry and Pat discuss specifics of plant names and growing habits.

Gradually, it becomes familiar... When we pass a very peculiarly shaped tree root -- it looks like a weird animal -- I am convinced: we have been here before. Probably on out last visit to Ireland. My memory has it as less developed but it could be that our last visit was at a less growing time of year.

We stay for coffee. (And to photograph the public toilet building. But maybe I shouldn't mention that.) Terry speaks to some of the waitresses, to let us hear Wicklow accents. As opposed to Dublin or other Irish accents.

A friend of Pat's comes over to say hello. With my ear freshly attuned to accents I notice that the friend's Irish accent is somewhat stronger and harsher than Terry's. And, as Terry speaks with the friend -- his own accent gets stonger and harsher to match. A good example of standard social practice, to match speaking styles.

Lunch at Glendalough (and I confirm the pronunciation)

We have a bit of a driving tour of the Wicklow Mountains. And very pretty they are, too ! We follow the Clara River, then cross it. Past a house and church by the river, across a very narrow stone bridge. Up the hill on the far side -- the road is single lane amongst the woods. There are walks from here, through the woods. Tempting -- if we had a lot more time and a lot more remaining energy :-)

Back across that narrow bridge. In the middle of all these woods and fields and hills and valleys... a pharmaceutical company! It's a large place, though well hidden in the woods. Barely visible except that Terry drove into their front yard.

We drive on to Glendalough. It is familiar... in a funny way: As we drive in I think, maybe this could be vaguely familiar. As we drive away from Glendalough -- and away from the side road which leads to a house where we stayed, several years ago -- it is all much more familiar!

My theory is, going away from Glendalough we would have been starting out, making sure we were on the right road -- aware of where we were going. Coming back -- in the "unfamiliar" direction -- we would have been going home, familiar with that last stretch of road, not absorbing as much of what we were seeing. It's a theory!

We eat lunch in... whatever the place is called... at the main Glendalough carpark. Pat and Terry recommend the corned beef and the haddock and chips. Deb has corned beef, I have the fish & chips. All very nice.

Note to self: Now we also owe T&P a meal... or two... when they make it to Perth :-)

As we leave Glendalough I mention the suburb of Glendalough near our home. And -- having said the name several times today -- I confirm that the correct (or original) pronunciation is "glen-da-lock".

Home, Blog, Dinner...

We drive home. I spend some time writing yesterday's blog. We all four discuss deep and important matters. We eat dinner, sandwiches. Now... I am about up-to-date.

Tomorrow... Pat will take us to the airport. And we will be on our way home.

So far, so good :-)

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
====

"Today is your day ! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way."    — Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment