Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Tue 24 Jan 2017: at sea

Sea calm with occasional rocking. Windy. A pleasant day at sea.

Deb goes to a talk on penguins. Nothing new, except that we have yet to see an adele penguin. They live on the ice.
Deb goes to a movie, Longitude. They show just the first half. It's about the first clock that allowed accurate calculation of longitude.
I finish reading Wuthering Heights. Then read a lighter book. I'm less ready than ever to sit in a small room with 48 other people.
We get issued with our Antarctic jackets. Not as nice as some we were lent -- but we ran out of room when packing. (Thanks, but sorry :-(
We eat dinner at a table with a man who likes to talk. (No, not me.) He's interesting but does go on a bit. (Told you, it's not me.) I launch into a counter-offensive: battle of the snappy repartee. Certainly brightens up the conversation :-)
I spend some time on deck, learning to use the binoculars. I manage to almost focus on a bird but can then still see less than with the naked eye.
I do believe that I see some fins... Small whales?
Oh, and the Spot tracker appears to have failed. Again. Flashing all the right green lights. Just not actually working. Oh well, another bit of technological junk.
Betting has opened on the first iceberg sighting. I'm betting on lunch-time tomorrow, Deb is betting on 24 hours after that.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"Before your dreams can come true, you have to have those dreams" … Dr Joyce Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment