Tuesday, December 3, 2019

snakes and languages

I'm dreaming that I run a small zoo. Less a zoo... more a few cages with animals. Several people are admiring the animals.

I arrive with a snake. A large snake, possibly a python, longer than me, as thick as my arm. (What do you mean, "phallic symbolism"?) I'm wondering which cage to put the snake in.

We look at one cage which has lots and lots of small bats. A quick flash of snake eating all the bats... nooo... not that cage.

There are now three or four of us holding the snake. It writhes, strongly. We manage to hold on. We look at another cage, a cage made of cloth mesh:

A quick flash of the shake pushing against the mesh. Trying to get in. Trying again, a large snake, pushing to get in... End of dream. (No, I definitely cannot see any phallic symbolism.)

I can't see any hidden meaning in that dream. It's just one that I remember...
===

So when I'm awake I'm trying to learn a new language, a coding language for writing mobile phone apps. It's a challenge.

I'm following two instruction manuals. One gives instructions that work but there's no explanation of what it all means. The other explains what it all means but the instructions don't work. Finally... I combine the two and get an "if" statement to actually work. Perhaps I can get the language to work!

And here's the funny thing:

I have the general attitude that yes, I will die, sooner than expected, due to *un*natural causes. I accept this and live with it. (Till I don't, of course.) Timing is unimportant: when it happens, it happens.

Then I get an "if" statement to work. I think, perhaps I *can* finish my app -- given enough time. And I have the strangest feeling: Suddenly, I have something that I want to *finish*. It will take time, lots of time.

There's a sudden and noticeable shift. My attitude was, I'll live till I die -- and do what I can before then. Now I feel, I'll live till I die -- and I hope that it is long enough to finish my app.

Dang! That leaves a lot to learn before I'm ready to die.




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Experience is the comb life gives you once  you're bald" … per Ginger Meggs

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



1 comment:

  1. You will complete the app and still have lots of time left. "Years"

    ReplyDelete