Tuesday, November 26, 2019

lining up the scans

I'm setting up dates for my next set of scans. By which I mean, I send an email to the medical secretary and ask her to schedule my next scans. They won't happen till late January next year but I want to order early, before the Christmas rush.

I now have a date and time for an MRI, the head scan. A date to see the cancer doc, a few days after the MRI. And waiting on the PET scan appointment to be set.

I've said it before, that the PET scan worries me less than the MRI. Rather, the PET *results* worry me less than the MRI *results*. I have this understanding that the testicular cancer won't kill me, the brain cancer will.

On the other hand... the testicular cancer has spread, the chemo to treat it was long and unpleasant. Still, I have been assured that testicular cancer is treatable and rarely fatal. So I worry less.

I have now confirmed the MRI scan plus a doctor's appointment. The PET scan will be whenever, doesn't matter. I'm happy to go back to reading the paper.

I read the opinion and bias that has replaced actual news. Reach the obituaries... I like to read the obituaries.

No, it's not a morbid fascination with dead people. I find that I am amazed by the people who *lived*, who did amazing things -- and I never even heard of them while they were alive. Today:

The obituary is of an American. Less interesting than reading about a local. (Or ex-local?) This now-dead person turned the snowboard idea into a commercial success. Interesting... but this is what catches my attention: This man dies, relatively young, of "complications stemming from a relapse of testicular cancer." What?! Should I be worried?!

Well, I decide, no more than before. Nothing has changed, I have still had the most appropriate treatment. I expect my brain to -- eventually -- kill me. If my balls put in a sneak attack, it's no worse.

In the words of the well-known philosopher: "What, me worry?"
===

This is something for my next appointment with the cancer doc: What is her attitude to euthanasia?

Not that I want it. Not that I am considering it. But I strongly support the right for a person to kill themselves. I'm interested in the doc's views. Partly interest. Partly, just in case.
===

A friend and I were having a bit of a rant. The sort where we list the woes of the world and how we would deal with them. (Suggestion: better not make me absolute dictator for life.) The friend suggested that I could rant to my ranting blog... I've not touched it for months. Years, even.

Just had a funny thought: This blog is to get cancerous thoughts off my mind. My ranting blog is to unburden my mind of despair at the stupidity of the world. Different scopes of concern but the same personal benefits.

Anyway. This morning I read the paper. There is *so much* stupidity, so much cupidity -- I rush to my ranting blog. I also rush off a letter to the editor.

Aaaaahhhh... Now I feel better :-)




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Choice, not chance, determines your destiny" … Aristotle

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



1 comment: