Monday, March 30, 2020

countdown to freedom

Five more days of isolation. The days hang heavy.

Deb fills in the long and lonely hours with TV. And reading. And jigsaw and knitting and gardening and cooking and playing guitar. And cleaning out cupboards. I play on the PC. And read.

I have a small blunt knife. Our jailers think that I am scratching marks on the wall to mark the passing of the days. In truth I am sharpening that knife. Soon I will be ready to carve the roast which Deb cooks for Sunday dinner.

Nine long days have passed. I scratch a mark on the brick wall for each long day which passes. The bricks are strong, I have almost completed half of the first mark. I may mark each day with a simple dot.

Our jailers think to starve us into submission. We have food smuggled to us, bare rations for our bare survival. Roast on Sunday. Curry tonight. Vegetable pie tomorrow. We will not be bowed by starvation.

Our physical health is maintained. We are not free to run. Instead, we exercise indoors. Deb once coughed. I once sneezed. Despite the rampant diseases of the outside world, we survive. False health, perhaps, but it feels good to resist the ravages of plague.

Mentally, I am insane. Cabin fever. Stir crazy. All trace of sanity has left. So my mind is, fortunately, unaffected by our enforced quarantine.

My emotional state is fragile. How long can I maintain the façade? How long can I pretend? When will I be forced to admit that this is my perfect holiday?

Our jailers think to break our spirits. We will survive. We will enjoy.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===
Carpe Librum, Seize the Book … Scottish Book Trust on Read a Book Day
===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



1 comment: