Sunday, May 3, 2020

thoughts

==> cancer

Deb and I run, following a training plan. Deb runs to keep fit, keeping fit is better than not. Why do I run? What's the point?

First, I enjoy running. Well, most days. Second, I believe that being somewhat fit helped me to bounce back from surgery. In the expectation of further surgery -- it's worthwhile being fit. Not that I am particularly fit, even compared to myself of several years ago.

Being fit may have helped me bounce back from drugs. It was a pretty low bounce.

Third, of course... I'm in training for the cradle mountain run. It was an impossible goal several years back. It's no less likely now.

See that line at the top? For those who wonder, How is my current attitude to my disease of the week? that's the relevant bit. If that's all you want... read no more. I'm about to ramble.

==> coronavirus

Deb and I go running in various parks and suburbs. The effects of coronavirus on parks, is interesting.

Carparks are crowded. More people than usual -- specially on weekdays -- are driving to a park so that they can go for a walk. Or a cycle.

Park walks are crowded with walkers. And cyclists. Especially families. Just the same number of joggers though. Lawns and picnic areas are empty -- until today. Today restrictions are loosened. There are more people having a picnic.

In Kings Park, Deb and I park where several foot tracks are conveniently close. With twenty parking spaces we expect three quarters to be empty. Further down the road is a cafe, very few parking spaces there.

Thanks to coronavirus there are more people in the park for a walk, less for coffee. Our favourite parking area is far more crowded. Thanks to takeaway coffee the cafe parking is as crowded as ever. Even when the lawns are empty of picnickers.
===

Children's playgrounds are closed. We pass empty playgrounds. No sounds of children shouting as they play. It's a sad sound of silence.
===

At the end of a run -- cooling down -- we pick up rubbish. Only at Bold Park, our "home" park for running. We like to look after our home park -- and there are plenty of rubbish bins near where we park. It's a pleasant park but, at night, it's popular with druggies and others who drop takeaway wrappers and home made bongs.

We are a bit careful of what we pick up. No used tissues, for example.

In these days of coronavirus... we pick up nothing.

Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
   ===
"Metaphors be with you" … Ginger Meggs

No comments:

Post a Comment