Friday, November 26, 2021

shallow philosophy and permanent excusal

I'm reading a book about a city where everyone lives forever and has everything they could possibly need... except freedom to leave. In fact, they are all *afraid* to leave.

Is this book science fiction or is it a comment on human nature:

We live our lives. Doing whatever we do... and being afraid to change. Even if we are in a rut... we are afraid to leave.
===

People I know have been called to jury duty. But never me... until this month.

I've always thought that jury duty would be a terrific opportunity -- an opportunity to discover that Justice is not simple. Could I decide to send someone to jail? Or look at an "obvious" criminal and declare them innocent?

So finally I am called to jury duty. Too late... As one son said, "Your honour, I can only see one of the two lawyers... :-)

After a quick exchange of emails I now have a "Certificate of Permanent Excusal". That is, I am permanently excused from any jury duty.

I'm somewhat disappointed.

But, after all... Justice is not supposed to be *half* blind.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

There are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters." ... Boris Johnson

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment: