Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Home again

yes, we've been Home since Saturday. what a relief :-)

Saturday. we leave Kendenup at 9am. reach Perth at 3pm. looking for a taxi, looking for a toilet... not enough stops on the way.

At the start: we've told the group about geocaching, they are interested, we stop at the cache Deb and i walked to before. a nice cache that gives a guaranteed find, everyone is impressed.
Next stop is Kojonup for morning tea. time for a half cup then we're off again. there's a cache across the road but... no time to look. anyway the road is a busy Highway, too much trouble to get across.

Next stop is Williams Wool Shed for lunch. crowded, service is slow, we have time for a very relaxed lunch, phew, a very nice lunch. then the final drive, non stop to Perth.

A pause in typing. I was on the apple tablet. such a pain. It's easier to dump it and continue with a PC and proper keyboard. So:

We start driving. The guides play a podcast over the bus sound system. It's a woman telling the story of Grace Bussell, famous bit of WA history, a good choice for a bus with a couple of non-WA tourists. Except:
The reader does vary her tone, a little bit of up and down... but with absolutely no excitement. No drama. No feeling. No emotion. Absolutely boringly awful. (I guess I should say that Deb didn't think it was bad.) Any classroom would have been asleep within minutes.
To me, it sounds like a Vogon poetry recital :-(
====

This trip is a test, are we ready for a trip to NZ? To walk the Routeburn? Lessons learnt:
1. No, I am not ready to walk up any mountains. The climb is okay, barely. But I cannot handle the uneven slippery stuff.
2. There is no way I can travel with a group of strangers.
So Routeburn is doubtful, for me :-)
Later, a friend asks me what I can't stand about travel with a group. It's hard to explain, to justify. I just can't stand it.

So we are safely home. Doing the usual home things.
So very nice to be -- just us -- home again.



1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to be home even after an enjoyable trip.

    ReplyDelete