Tuesday, October 4, 2022

odd points

I feel a bit annoyed that I was not able to walk up those mountains in the Stirlings.
I'm more annoyed -- still with myself -- that I spoilt the trip for Deb.
Who, incidentally, bounded up those mountain trails like an athletic and attractive gazelle :-) 
===

I find myself doing something a certain way -- because that is the way I always do it. Thinking, perhaps that is the way I *must* do it. What I mean is:
I have lasted five years since cancer diagnosis (woohoo :-)
Is this just luck? Or... am I doing something right?
I have honey on my porridge, is honey a magic cancer cure? I keep having honey.
At night I drink several glasses of water. Is this -- by magic -- washing away cancer cells? I won't stop drinking.
I walk and run. Is this helping my body fight cancer? I keep on walking -- just in case.
It's stronger than "habit" -- I am reluctant to change. Even though I "know" that these things are (probably) not related to survival.
It's called "superstitious learning" and it's very common in business: an unjustified, possibly false belief that there is a cause-and-effect relationship.
But... just in case... Send me a lot of money and I will reveal the secret to curing cancer... It involves walking. Drinking water. Honey on porridge. And sending me lots of money.
It's a sure thing! A sure thing for making money off suckers :-)



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

If you always see your glass as half empty, try getting a smaller glass. (Alfred E. Neuman)

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment:

  1. Don't change anything. At least another 10 years is on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete