Saturday, July 21, 2018

future planning

It's not often that I enjoy going to the dentist... This week, (a) there are no fillings and (b) it's good to find that I still need my teeth :-) Though it does seem a bit late in the day to have apparently mastered avoiding the constant need for fillings & repairs.

Deb & I were there together. As we left Deb made an appointment for her next check-up in six months' time. I said, I'll leave my next check-up for twelve months. Mostly because I don't really enjoy visits to the dentist. And it's nice to make a plan for so far in the future :-)
===

Bill Watterson - "There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do."


So we're planning a walking holiday, along the Cape to Cape track. A few months away yet, timed for Spring. Also timed for school holidays -- despite expected crowds of kids -- to suit Deb's sister's schedule.

The three of us plan to do the walk, Deb, her sister, me. "We" walked the C2C years ago. That is, Deb & her sister walked, I dropped and picked up for each day's walk. This year I'm expected to walk rather than drive. Ah well. As Jack Benny almost said:

"Give me [hiking shoes], fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the [shoes] and the fresh air."
===

Last week I thought that I was feeling fine. This week, the improvement from Tuesday to Wednesday is so noticeable... I guess I was still affected by the tail end of having a cold. For the last few days... nights... even the nights seem to be warmer ! The new electric blanket helps. But some nights I even turn that off.

I was accepting being cold at night as "normal". The new normal is feeling not quite as cold at night. And speaking of normal...

Last time the dentist saw me I was saying, I have brain cancer. This week, this lead to some conversation before my teeth were examined.

What brain cancer symptoms were there? he asked. None before the day of my collapse, I replied. Except for the large & hard testicle... I had been planning to ask the GP about that. Oops! a second (testicular) cancer...

I had known that the testicle was large and hard. But... after a while... it seemed almost normal. Normal enough to not panic.

Then it was removed. I looked at the remaining testicle and thought, Wow, that other one really was extra large... My view of "normal" had grown with the cancerous testicle.
===

And back to that holiday plan:

We will walk in Spring. Which just happens to be, a week or two after my next brain scan. Ooo-kay. I'll schedule the scan and move the oncologist appointment a bit earlier than planned, so I will know the results before we start walking.

If a tumour is back... things could be interesting. Walking with a fresh surgery scar ? Perhaps I can cut a hole in my hat for self-radiation treatment ? No worries !

We plan to enjoy ourselves. All sorts of things could interfere with that plan. My illness is nothing, compared to Deb's sister's potential problems !

Enjoy life :-) While we can. And then, enjoy life just a bit more.





Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"I've found that there's a reason for everything… I constantly make the wrong decisions." … Pardon my Planet

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



1 comment: