Wednesday, May 6, 2020

dreams & uncertainty

==> dreaming

I dream a lot. Or, more accurately, I wake up every few hours and remember that I have woken up from a dream. Sometimes I remember dreaming but not the dream. Sometimes I remember the dream topic but not the details.

I have a couple of dreams where I'm doing something which is a real life version of coding in Kotlin... more on coding, later.

In one dream Deb is leaving me. One of our kids explains, it's because I have not given her everything that I should. I agree. When I wake up I'm sad because I accept that I have not given Deb everything that I should. I soon cheer up because Deb shows no sign of leaving :-)

In another dream we are orienteering and Deb is lost. I worry.

In real life, I always worry that Deb may be lost, though she never is, not for long. If she's late back from a run I worry. Or, I tell myself not to worry. More recently, it's Deb's turn to worry. If I'm late back from a run, perhaps I'm collapsed somewhere. Again. So far, however, so good :-)

==> Kotlin coding

I'm battling to cross the latest hurdle of the Kotlin language. How to use "recyclerview". After weeks' of effort my major achievement is that I seem to understand what the function should do... and why it is called recyclerview.

For me, what it actually does... is limited.

On the one hand I have five items of data. On the other hand I have five spaces on the screen. I also have two pieces of code: one knows all about the data, the other knows where the data could fit on the screen.

Only trouble is, the two bits of code do not work together. I can either work with the data *or* work with the screen display. I'm constrained by Kotlin's Uncertainty Principle: I can know the value of the data *or* I can know its position. But I can't know both.
===

Oh well. Back to reading online manuals and examples. Just a few of which work but are incomplete. And most of which are incomplete, don't work... and use functions which are no longer available in the language.

Nick Lethbridge / Agamedes Consulting
   ===
"Metaphors be with you" … Ginger Meggs

No comments:

Post a Comment