Friday, July 30, 2021

map-reading challenge

Back to last Sunday...
We go orienteering. Deb walks with me to the start -- just as well. I'm completely lost. Well Not quite "lost" but confused.
At the start I ask Deb -- and others -- which way I should start. I still can't make sense of it.

Orienteering involves looking at a map, looking at reality, matching the two... repeat while moving.

Each time that I change where I'm looking -- I see something different. Different bits of the map -- and of reality -- are "invisible". It makes it hard to match map to reality.

I need to spend time staring, thinking. I don't... so I am confused.

The person at the start offers to walk me to my first control. Very nice of her :-)  but by now I have given up. I walk back to the truck.

It's funny: I walk back through a large and complex carpark. I've been there before, it's familiar. Also, as we walk to the start I look for landmarks. I have no trouble finding the truck... not needing to follow a map.

I can find my way round -- if I'm careful. I have a lot more trouble following a map.

We'll be orienteering again this weekend. Deb is already worried.

Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

One joy scatters a hundred griefs" ... Chinese proverb

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment:

  1. Good on you for getting out there and giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete