Wednesday, December 28, 2022

field testing my app

Today I do some testing of "my app".
The app can provide a d.i.y orienteering event. Follow an O map and the app will use the phone GPS to check whether you are in the right place.
So today I plan to add GPS coordinates for a nearby O map.
Two challenges really: (1) using the app and (2) I can't follow a map... I started this map back in the days when I could navigate. Or at least see and follow a map :-)

Deb drops me near the start of the map. I slowly... slowly... work out where I am. Where to go next. Except:
Turns out that I have missed one small step. Which means that I can't use the app. Oops. It's a small step, one which I can only fix at home.

I walk home, it's only twenty minutes. Walk back to the map and try again.
Success!

I do some "field work" with the app. It's good :-)
Okay, one problem, which I expected: A smartphone is designed for people who live in shady cities. In daylight -- I can't read the screen. I shuffle round, keeping my own shadow on the screen. Awkward but it works.

I manage to follow the map, to find all the control points. I can navigate :-) But slowly. Oh so slowly :-) Every step needs careful consideration, checking and re-checking. But I succeed :-) I find every control point, use the app to locate each point. It works.

I walk home. Past a cafe. I have a celebratory iced latte, I need it, it's warm work.

Home, lunch, relax...
I've been out for three hours. It's worth it. In a practical test -- the app works. Next step: I need to get it onto app libraries. Where other people can find it.
But so far -- so good :-)


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Yesterday I knew nothing. Today I know that." ... per Ginger Meggs

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment:

  1. Well done. Your perseverance has paid off.

    ReplyDelete