Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Strike me dead

I have another blog, one dedicated to letting off steam. Rather than annoying Deb with my opinions on the stupidity of the world, I post to that blog. Get it off my chest.

Back in August I had a rant about a woman who had a near-death experience, who recovered, then felt that this experience qualified her to understand people who are dying.
Worse, she has turned herself to making profits from the dying.
She charges for the provision of scented candles, dim lights and soft music.
To my mind, near-death -- with a full recovery -- to a life which is much as it was before -- is completely different to the absolute knowledge that you are going to die.

From the depths of my sarcasm I referred to this woman as a "death doula"

Well strike me pink. In today's paper is a double-page spread about "death doulas". People who make money from the dying.

I don't object to the profession. I'm sure they provide comfort to the survivors at least. Today's article does not claim to understand what the dying person is feeling. The emphasis is, more aptly, on provision of comfort to "the "loved ones left behind".

But I do strongly object to the use of my term -- intended to be sarcastic and vaguely insulting -- as an acceptable word for the people who sell dim lights and scented candles.

Good grief, that woman still annoys me.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Yesterday I knew nothing. Today I know that." ... per Ginger Meggs

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment: