Wednesday, January 31, 2018

training plan... progress?

You're probably wondering, How is my running training plan progressing? In just a few words: Not too bad at all...

Reality may not seem to be quite so positive.

Okay, last weekend I went orienteering. I covered 6.4km, did not get lost, came last. Still a bit slow!

Yesterday Deb & I entertained our grandson. We went to the toddlers' pool, I sat and watched. Then I had an afternoon nap -- I slept longer than the toddler. And yet...

In the last week or so I have done several training runs. 5km each time. My run speed would have me finishing the Cradle Mountain run in just a bit over 13 hours. Or just over 14 hours if I included some walking. So far so good!

Except that I would have to maintain that speed for 82km -- and I am glad to slow down after just five. Perhaps I am ready for 6km non-stop? Still another 76km to cover. Drat.

My training runs mostly cover a loop, from home and back again. It is a very *flat* loop. On limestone tracks. So: add mud & rocks & rough track. And add Cradle *Mountain*... Hmmm.

My longest ever trail run (or run of any kind) was just under 48km. Some hills, good gravel tracks. It took me seven hours 20... fast enough to run Cradle Mountain in less than 13 hours. Except for that mud & rock & rough track ... and mountain. Hmmm again.

Those long trail runs were "back when I was fit and healthy". And younger, though by just a couple of years :-) When I crashed out of the fun run into ED I was already setting my sights on half rather than full marathons... Mostly because I'm far too lazy to train. Especially for the longer distances.

Is it time to give up trying to run further? (But not necessarily faster.) No way!

Deb & I took up trail running about five years ago. Even then, my long term target was the Cradle Mountain run. Even then, I had no expectation that I would ever be fit enough to enter, let alone complete the run. So what has changed? Nothing much!

Same long term target. Same expectation. A new time limit of three years one month and a few days. No need to save my legs for later!

Reality indicates that I have little (or no) chance of running Cradle Mountain. Too bad! I do have the plan...

Okay, I have the vague direction. First, I get comfortable with 5km. Then six. Then... more. Then Cradle Mountain -- here I come!

No worries :-)







Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"You're only young once but you can stay immature forever" … per Ginger Meggs

===

1 comment:

  1. Yep keep at it as I know you will. As I say a tough bugger. Cheers col

    ReplyDelete