Monday, April 9, 2018

another drug cycle...

Over the last few days I was in top form. Thursday I ran 5km, Saturday Deb & I walked almost 8km (with cafe lunch to celebrate), Sunday I ran 7km.

Okay, to put that in context: That Sunday run followed the course of a fun run which we will be running in a few weeks' time. Past performances over that course were 1km longer and ten minutes faster. I was in top form -- for the last few months. Fine by me :-)

Oh, and Deb said that our trip to Bremer Bay was successful: well planned, enjoyable and I stayed awake for a lot of the time. So I was in a good mood and feeling fine.

This morning I wake up just after 3am to take the first -- for this month -- set of chemo tablets. With the counter-chemo-side-effects tablet first and the counter-counter-chemo-side-effects powder before and after. Or, more simply: four chemo tablets plus powders and a tablet to balance the various side-effects.

Then back to bed.

To wake up an hour later with stomach pains... which I blame on the chemical warfare in the empty battlefield of my stomach. Too uncomfortable to sleep, so I go downstairs and start -- slowly -- loading my stomach with dry crackers. Stomach settles down to a dull ache. Deb wakes up, does all the various morning chores which I avoid then makes me a cup of tea. Aaaahhh mmmm... the stomach ache fades to nothing. I'm left feeling cold, rugged up in a quilt, and otherwise...

Well, my digestive system still feels uncertain. Rather, it "feels". My "normal" state is that I eat and that's it. No doubts, no funny feeling, just the feeling that "I have just eaten" gradually fading to "I'm ready to eat again". Today my stomach makes its presence felt. Nothing serious, just not as settled as it should be.

Doesn't stop me eating breakfast :-)

Now I'm feeling that I could vomit -- but it's highly unlikely. I feel that I could be heading to diarrhea -- but not so far. I feel that I could be constipated -- but it's far too early to claim that one.

Yes, I've started a new week of chemo. I'm feeling pretty much as I usually do in the one week (in four) of chemo. This is day one of five chemo days for this drug week. The effects tend to be cumulative, that is, side-effects are a little bit worse as the week progresses.

Another four days of chemo... Side-effects often last for a full week... One week in four with all these symptoms... And every week of chemo is a month that I am still alive. And that's something to be glad about :-)







Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Even if a million people repeat the same nonsense, it is still nonsense" … Anatole France (paraphrased)

===

1 comment: