Sunday, April 22, 2018

back to fun running

Today, we run a fun run. So? Well, it's my (and our) first run since the last... And my last fun run was the one where I collapsed and found out that I have brain cancer. Almost eight months ago.

Today is the Gallipoli Run in Kings Park, four or eight km, run on a Sunday near Anzac Day. I'm no Anzac, not interested in a visit to Gallipoli but I support the idea of commemorating people who fought for our country. Also, it's a fun, fun run. A few serious runners and plenty of people who just take part.

The start could not be more suitable to a war-themed commemoration. Ten minutes to go and it was fine. We assemble at the start. Rain pours down. Thunder crashes, lightning flashes. Bugler plays the Last Post as we all stand in soaking silence. There would normally be Anzac Service words; today it is very, very brief.

We start, and the rain pauses. We run through intermittent showers, occasional thunder and lightning. Temperature is just under 20, we don't notice the rain while running, conditions are ideal.

It's a two-lap course. Deb runs her one 4km lap a couple of minutes faster than me, then I have another lap to run. Interesting: after years of claiming that I vary my pace to suit the course -- I run each of my two laps in the same time, within seconds. I just set a pace that I could keep to and kept on going.

At some points I felt that my legs needed a rest (too bad, I didn't rest). I once ran fast enough to almost start panting, otherwise it was all slow & steady, always jogging. Sixty-six minutes for eight km, much slower than when I was "healthy"... I am pleased with the result :-)

It's good to be running. And very satisfying to have completed an "official" event. Both satisfying -- and reassuring. I may not be fit but I am still able to get fitter.





Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Even if a million people repeat the same nonsense, it is still nonsense" … Anatole France (paraphrased)

===

1 comment: