Tuesday, February 11, 2020

holiday planning

Deb & I have had some "interesting" holidays... where things go wrong on the holiday. Our next holiday -- to NZ -- is the first that I remember where everything is going wrong even before we leave.

The first holiday activity -- the reason for going at all -- is to walk the Routeburn Track.

First, we were to travel with Deb's sister. She has had to pull out, so loses 50% of the cost of the walk. Two days after she cancelled -- well, I cancelled for her, I'm the trip organiser -- the Routeburn Track is closed. All walks cancelled for February. That's okay, we're walking in March. But...

Will the Track be open again in March? Noone knows. So, for those who don't like uncertainty, the Track walk company are offering 100% refunds for walkers who would walk till just after our dates.

The sister thinks, Aha! 100% refund, that's lucky. Too late, 50% is already the done deal. I guess I'll have to tell her... (If you're reading this: I'll tell you soon. Sorry :-(

So, still Deb & me to walk.

Sunday, we (Deb & I) have a test walk, Eagle Trail with backpacks. Deb is skipping, whistling, enjoying a pleasant stroll in the bush. I'm tired, complaining, vowing to never walk again. I could probably walk each day of the Track -- with no option other than spending the rest of my life in the NZ forest -- but I don't want to.

Deb seems to take the hint. She says, cancel the walk. I'm disappointed but only because Deb is disappointed.

What about the rest of the trip? There is some good news...

We need accommodation before and after the walk. I booked a nice 2br unit for the three of us... far too big for just two of us. And expensive. The good news: Thanks to other walkers cancelling walks, there is now accommodation in Queenstown.

We can stay in a "suite" for two at a price which makes me think, we can skip the walk and stay in Queenstown, an easy change to the plan. Deb finds lots of things to do in Queenstown... most of which are walks in the forest. But without backpacks :-)

But is it too much to spend six nights in Queenstown? We may cancel the first night or two. So I look at flights.

Interesting... Fly just one day later and the flights are less expensive. But too late for the walk. Oh, look, the day we are booked -- and paid -- to fly is the most expensive for the month. Oh bah, humbug.

I've just sent an email to cancel the walk. I'm actually relieved. Tomorrow I'll look at any other changes. I may just take the easy option, Queenstown for six nights. Deb will find plenty for us to do :-)


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart" … Elizabeth Andrew

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed our time in Queenstown. Plenty to do as you say.

    ReplyDelete