Monday, September 12, 2022

Here we go again

Phew! Sometimes it's not safe to have a good idea :-)
But first:

There was an article in the paper last week about "toxic positivity". I only skimmed it, I think it was about the pressure to be positive and enthusiastic at work. Which results in yes-men, never admitting to bad news, overwork and burnout.
The message was: it's not always good to be positive, especially if it's a forced false attitude.
Meanwhile, back at home...
Forget the false positive attitude :-(
I'm terminal, my app is not getting anywhere... I'm miserable.
But...
That's no reason to act badly. Not if it upsets Deb. (Anyone else can take their chances :-)
I may be depressed. But... on the surface... there is a lot that I enjoy. Family, friends, beautiful weather, getting out for a run, complaining about the stupidities of the world (but that's another blog).
So yes, I have (I believe) a lot to be miserable about. And I'm happy to be miserable about it. I'm not going to pretend that I'm happily accepting the ... whatever it is that I'm complaining about. What I will try is to not let my underlying depression mess up the good stuff. So there. Such as:
===

Today we are out orienteering. Beautiful weather, wildflowers are blooming. I don't even try to follow the map. (As Deb says, the map-navigation bit of my brain is in a pickle jar in a lab somewhere). I just follow Deb. Using a hiking pole... as a walking stick... and sitting down on the steep downhills. The bush is quite open but it's still hard work. And very satisfying... made it! 3km in an hour. And I barely swear at all.
===

It's always fun to chat with other orienteers. One bloke says that he thought I was dying. I admit that yes, it's really embarrassing that I'm still alive. Best I can offer is that now, five years after diagnosis -- I'm at the thin and pointy end of the distribution curve. Possibly stretching the curve.

Evening. The family is round for dinner. It's a kid's birthday so pizza and icecream cake mmmm:-)
===

But first: I read a book of travel (and romance) set in England. Such a good book that I think perhaps we should go to England.
There's a bit of to-and-fro. Is Deb saying yes only because she thinks that I want to go? Does Deb really want to go? Am I just being crazy? (yes) Will I be unbearably grouchy between packing and take-off? (yes) 
Our past overseas holidays have begun with something that we want to do then we fit a holiday round it. For example, the last holiday started with the Edinburgh Tattoo. Others started with an inn-to-inn walk or a marathon. This idea is just... English gardens. With perhaps some English history.

I think... blow it... sit at the PC and try to book flights... and fail. The Qantas website defeats me. But not for long...
Our sons arrive, I sit one at the PC and... within five minutes we have tickets to fly to England. And back :-)
===

So... we'll be out of the country, mid next year.
Which really is back to the original theme of this blog. And about time, too :-)
===

On a related topic:
Time to get with the technology, I think. Time to run Facebook on my phone so I can post holiday snaps from the phone. Perhaps even post photos to this "holiday" blog. Today I take the phone to orienteering to test the process -- and forget to try it.
Then (proudly) tell a son of my photo idea. That's so old-person, he says.
Oh well. Still, I guess that I am an old person :-)



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

If you're not a part of the solution, then you're part of the vast majority. (Alfred E. Neuman)

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment: