Friday, October 13, 2023

do not panic

When you're lost it's vital to not panic. So, when I'm trying to get home from Kings Park -- I do not panic.

I've done this trip several times. With varying degrees of lost-ness. Leave the cafe, follow the track to the main road. Cross the footbridge, walk past the hospital, get to G Block, catch the bus. Easy.

I leave the cafe and fail to find the track. Is it to the left or the right? I go left, a long way, no track. Return, walk past where I started. Find a track.
The track reaches the main road... no bridge. It's the wrong track. No worries, I find the main road. No sign of the footbridge. I cross at traffic lights.
I can see the hospital that I need to pass. I can't see a footpath... I cross various minor roads, carefully, waving my white stick in a defensive fashion.
No sign of G Block. Not to worry, I can follow a road. Carefully. Finally, a bus stop.
Not my usual stop but... it lists the bus that I want.
I use Google Maps, it says -- walk three minutes to a bus stop. But I am already at a bus stop?
I uninstall Maps and wait for the bus, they come every ten minutes.
The bus arrives, no worries, it takes me to nearly the end of our road.
I know to press the stop button when I see the primary school. Then cross the very busy road, head away... and work out where exactly I am. No worries.
I must say, bus drivers and passengers are very helpful.

Yes, I'm lost for most of the journey. But logic and memory tell me which way to go.
It's a lot less comfortable when I'm in a new location with no memory to guide me.
So: close, but no panic :-)



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
===

Talk is cheap — but say the wrong thing to your boss and it'll cost you. (adapted from Alfred E. Neuman)


Dying for you to read my blog :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment