Monday, October 9, 2023

the O Festival is Over :-)

It's been ten days  of orienteering festival -- the National Orienteering Champs -- in WA. Deb is one of the many volunteers, she helps at the Finish on several days. When we volunteer, we always work together, two volunteers for the price of one. This year it's one-and-a-half for the price of one. Plus Deb's sister G, who adds value at one of the events. Plus, G guides me round a course.
She's not a regular orienteer but does very well. No way I could do a course by myself, I follow G. It's great fun to be in the bush and "competing". Then we help Deb in her volunteering role. It's simple stuff, our "help" is mostly to be company.
It does involve hours of standing in the sun, with breaks in the shade. Then an hour and a half to drive home.
I hope it was tiring for Deb and G, it was absolutely exhausting for me.
Deb and I do this helping at the finish at three events on three days. The third day has good shade and it's close to home. With some unexpected entertainment: Competition is finished, presentations are happening on the lawn -- and the sprinklers turn on :-) Everyone enjoys it except the people who have to desperately shelter the computers being used to record results.
The Festival is over, I'm exhausted -- and all I did was hang around.
Now back to normal activities... phew :-)



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
===

Talk is cheap — but say the wrong thing to your boss and it'll cost you. (adapted from Alfred E. Neuman)


Dying for you to read my blog :-)


1 comment: