Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Last day walking

From Cosy Corner to The End !

Have you noticed that this is not very good as a "travel" blog ? The last month or two there have been very few interesting physical issues. I have focussed on my emotional state. This focus has continued, even though I am now documenting a very physical holiday.

Also, it's such an exhausting holiday that I can't remember -- and can't be bothered trying to remember -- actual facts of the walk. When I print a copy for Deb, I'll depend on photos to fill some gaps.

Aside: I spent six months getting unfit. I definitely have not regained all that I lost. Not to worry, gives me somethong to aim for :-)

So. Today. Briefly...

We are dropped back at Cosy Corner. I seem to remember some pleasant walking through bush. Then we reach the beach. But first, the blowholes.

We walk over rough, sharp limestone rocks. With holes, big enough to fall through. Onto sand or water, 3 or 4 metres below. I look nowhere except at my feet and where I will step next. My walking is accompanied by a monotone mumble of fuckfuckfuckfuck...

We finally pass the rocks.

Onto the beach. Five (or seven?) km of slogging through soft sand. This is awful. At least it's not scary.

Lunch (provided) is bean paste patties, tahini sauce, salad. The salad is nice but I am not interested. I look under the patties but there is no real food. I eat the patties -- not enough flavour to be objectional -- and leave the salad. Deb eats the salad, leaves the patties.

Next section winds through low shrub. There are 1600 varieties of plant in the C2C area. To me it looks like lots of varieties. Repeated again and again and again.

Back into taller stuff, above head height. With flowers. Much better.

I'm slowing down, exhausted. The other two go on ahead, occasionally waiting for me. I snap at Deb, it makes me feel terrible. They are very understanding. I feel better just slogging on by myself.

Finally... the last section. A couple of km over rocks and low grasses. Against a 30 knot wind. I think, I wish I had an enemy, I would give them a gift voucher for this section of the walk.

At last ! the final lighthouse ! We arrive minutes after 4pm. More than 7 hours walking, 20 km walked. The minibus arrives, the other group have walked the extra 400m to the actual lighthouse. We sit in the bus.

We mutter about the other group not being ready to leave... but we are sitting, warm. And the others soon join us.

Home via Augusta and Margaret River (the town!).

Takeaways (real food, steak :-)

I find an excuse to show Deb's sister our Antarctic photos :-) We all enjoy them. It does flatten the tablet battery so I am now sitting on the floor near a power point to type.

Heavy rain has just started but we have finished walking ! Excellent timing :-)

Now to bed. We drive home tomorrow.
===

I believe that my "feelings" about this holiday may not be accurately reflected in the blog. I loved the forest walking. Could do without most of the bits with a view of the ocean. (Oceans are for watching while sitting, not for slogging beside.) I enjoy perhaps 10% of the walking and grumble about the rest.

Then we come home. I enjoy the good company, fill my stomach, sit, relax... and write each post in this pleasant evening mood. Complaints of the day are faded into the past. A lot of the feelings of bleerrgh have faded into relaxed acceptance. But believe me: the walking is tough, tiring, not something I wish to do again !

On the other hand... Deb's sister is good company and enjoyed the experience. (While getting thoroughly exhausted.) Deb is excellent company. She was tired but outlasted me and her sister. And Deb has thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. So I am thoroughly pleased :-)

Still do not want to do it again !





====    Dr Nick Lethbridge  /  Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
===

"You can fool all of the people some of the time. Some of the people all the time. And make a fool of yourself... anytime." … Ginger Meggs
===

dying for you to read my blog: notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au :-)
====
   

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing I have focussed on my emotional state.I loved the forest walking. Could do without most of the bits with a view of the ocean.

    student accommodation in leicester

    ReplyDelete