Monday, October 22, 2018

why carry on ?

Some of our friends at an orienteering event, Deb tells me, commented on the way that I continue to turn up at events. To carry on as though nothing has changed, as though I still have an eternal lifetime ahead of me.

And sometimes I have asked myself, Why carry on ?

The first -- and simplest -- answer is, Why not ?! What has changed that affects my reasons for going orienteering ? Nothing, really. I'm never going to be a champion, I never was. Yes, I have lost some interest in being sociable but it's still enjoyable chatting with orienteers. And with rogainers and with fun & trail runners.

Another reason for continuing to go orienteering is in the basic reasons why I go: because I enjoy being in the bush. Because there is the added challenge of finding control points. Because I sometimes beat one or two other people :-) These apply equally to orienteering, rogaining and fun running, especially trail running.

Some things, however, have changed. I enjoy these activities, Deb enjoys these activities. I *still* enjoy these activities -- and I am happy to continue with enjoyable activities (while I can!). And while Deb is enjoying these activities -- I am happy to provide good memories for Deb. I have no need for good memories but Deb has. Or will have, eventually.

And then, it is very satisfying to be able to complete a course. I may be slower & less fit than I was a couple of years ago -- but I am faster & fitter than I was a few months ago. I feel that I am getting fitter (relative to just months ago, that is ! ) It is very satisfying to get out in the bush and find that yes, my physical fitness is improving :-)

I have considered following my natural lazy tendencies to become fat and completely inactive. Eat what I want, when I want and never budge from my comfortable chair... That option does have some appeal ! But I prefer the options that I have tried before -- and enjoyed, before.

So I continue to go orienteering, to go rogaining, to run fun runs and trail runs -- because I enjoy them.

Though I also spend plenty of time reading. And playing World of Warcraft. Writing a phone app. Posting to blogs and planning future holidays. Occasionally even helping round the house. All of which are fun... and even more fun, with orienteering etc to break the routine.
===

And speaking of rogaining: On Saturday, Deb and I were at a rogaine.

We walked 29km in eight & a half hours. We were lost for only the last two hours. We won our category ! That's the mixed (male/female) with all team members (both of us) over 65. Yes, there were two other teams in our category. And yes, it feels good !

We went quite well. We enjoyed the event (except for some time when we were lost). And we did better -- went further, scored higher -- than we had for 18 months ! (Which includes 6 months pre-cancer -- so we did better than when we *thought* we were fit & healthy ! )

Mind you, after that rogaine effort, we are both still moving rather slowly and carefully :-)

I'll continue to turn up at these events while I can. While I enjoy it. Because, Why not !




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"If money won't make you happy, you won't like poverty either." … Ginger Meggs

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



1 comment: