Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Walpole to Boyup Brook

I leave our room key on the desk at reception. As I walk out I see the Key Return box just outside. Oh well.

And while I almost remember: Yesterday I wrote something that was wrong. Now I can't remember what it was. Just take any of my holiday reports with a pinch of salt :-) So for today's vague memories...

We leave the motel, turn left... then reverse. The road is closed, being dug up. Just a very short detour and we're on our way. Leaving Walpole.

The Mundal trail does a bit of twisting and turning north of Walpole, as it passes Mt Frankland. Actually the trail doesn't even go to Walpole, we detoured to stay the night. Today we take the direct route back to the Mundal at Mt Frankland. With a couple of side-tracks.

There's a geocache at the Swawbrick(?) art thing. It's a collection of sculptures set amongst bush. Big, impressive sculptures, well worth the visit. That's why we enjoy geocaching, it brings us to interesting places :-)

Next stop is the Thurby(?) herb garden & cafe, we have coffee and cake. Then ... on to Mt F.

At the carpark we look round and say, Wow ! what an enormous rock ! Oh, no, that's not the Mount, that's just a little rock nearby. We climb to the real summit. It's steep but easy, with a good track and lots of well-made steps. Tiring... wouldn't like to try it on a hot day.

The weather is fine and mild. No sign of rain.
===

Deb spent time last night planning our drive. Looking at the track notes and tracing it onto a map. Today, it's easy: Deb guides us, I confirm our location on the gps map. So easy.

It's also a very pleasant drive through the bush. From tall trees, to scrub, some swampy areas, lots of up and down. Another goanna by the road, lots of birds. Forest & farm, all on reasonably good quality gravel roads.

We find a few geocaches and discover places we have never heard of before. Lake Muir is huge & mostly dry, Red Lake is very small and full of water. We pass a few farmhouses, there are two or three other cars, otherwise we are on our own. A beautiful, peaceful day's drive.

For lunch, we pull off the road onto a bit of a dirt track. Nothing to see, just a weedy patch between farm and bush but it's peaceful. While we are stopped for lunch only one car passes by on the road.

It's a long day. Just 240km but driving on gravel tracks takes extra concentration. It's good to get to Boyup Brook. About 4:30. Time to relax for a while, then dinner. We eat at the hotel (there's not much choice in BB), excellent steak, good salads.

Tomorrow has much less driving. Deb has already prepared for her navigation role. We watch a bit of tv, I write these brief notes. All done.
===

My holiday journals may be brief, they may be incomplete. When I get home I add some photos, perhaps maps of where we went. I will correct mistakes and perhaps add points that I missed. Then the whole lot will be printed into a hardcopy journal.

This blog does not have to be complete & correct. I do try to cover everything of interest... before I fall asleep. The blog is a first draft for the final product. That's why accuracy is not always important -- as long as I type enough to check, later, with Deb.






====    Dr Nick Lethbridge  /  Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
===

"Real people don't make very good politicians." … Ginger Meggs
===

dying for you to read my blog: notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au :-)
====
   

2 comments: