Sunday, January 3, 2021

limiting factors

The way I see it there are four limits to my running: heart, lungs, legs and mind. Today I test those limits with a 10km trail run.

Lately, my lungs have been the limiting factor. Today I remember to use my asthma puffer before the run -- and it works. It's never a struggle to breathe, more, my breathing feels shallow and I run slowly. Today my lungs work well. Or at least, better than usual :-)

Not that I ever run fast enough to puff and pant! Today I can feel, I'm breathing easy.

My heart has never been a problem. Today I barely get it beating.

Today, I run well enough to push my *legs* to their limit. Four km climb, I walk. Walking at a steady pace... but cannot push my legs to run. For most of the run my legs are the limiting factor. I jog downhill but walk up.

To the final -- almost flat -- two km. Sure, my legs are tired but not exhausted. Now my mind sets the limit: I do not *want* to run. The track is almost flat but... I compromise: I jog a bit, I walk a bit. And finish.
===

When I run I do tend to think. Today, I think of my heart, lungs, legs, mind, and which one is most to blame for slowing me down. My conclusions are, I need to use the asthma puffer and I need to keep training, to improve my legs. That should also take care of the mind.
===

Near the end of the run I think, Will I survive the next trail runs, which are even steeper? When I finish the run I think, Of course I will. So, time to do some more training... But not today. I'll wait till I can run again:-)






Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===

We are here and it is now. After that, everything tends towards guesswork... Didactylos in Small Gods
   

1 comment: