Saturday, April 17, 2021

A classic holiday :-)

Deb & I go away for a few days over the weekend. It is ... a debacle :-)

As an aside: I often fail to notice things to my left. IF I focus, I can see them. But I have to look closely.

I eat dinner -- then notice a pile of food pushed off the plate, onto the table.  to my left. Deb says, don't worry, we can wipe the table :-)

Another effect is, that typing is difficult. I aim for a key and hit a key to one side. I aim for A, hit caps lock, AND FROM THEN ON i'M SHOUTING.
Sooner or later I will stop correcting these mis-types. Or, I will stop seeing them :-) Either way, just try to guess what I mean!

So, the weekend holiday:

Stay one night in Dwellingup. Then move to Collie. A 7km night run, Deb & I will run (walk)together. Next day, a 5km or 10km run. In daylight :-)

I decide that 10km is further than I want to run. I contact the organisers, ask them to change my Saturday entry from 10km to 5km. No worries, they reply... though that run is on Sunday, not Saturday. Oh.

We drive to Dwellingup. A pleasant drive through lots of nice forest. Deb drives on the highway. When there is a wide, quiet road -- with lots of space on the left side, I drive. We're both tense but have no trouble. Don't worry, that's the last driving for me...

Dwellingup, we're in a chalet on a farm, looking over paddocks to forest. Beautiful!

Then we drive... Deb drives... to Collie. We're in a nice b&b. We prefer self-catering but this is very comfortable.

We follow the hostess' suggestion and eat dinner at the Collie Italian Club. Very nice. Okay, we get a bit lost on the way back... but Deb's smartphone saves the day.

Earlier, we were using *my* phone to navigate. Back of Waroona my phone goes on strike, claims no internet connection. Deb's phone works. not mine.

Twelve hours later, I'm back on the internet.

Luckily, Deb can read a road map. I can't. I look at it. Can't find any towns other than Bunbury (a large ugly blob). I have also lost the concept of page-turning... I can't find a cover, I turn one page and skip many pages. back or forward. Deb probably slipped me a joke book of maps :-)

Not to worry. We're now in a comfortable b&b in Collie, nothing to do till we run tomorrow morning. We have already decided to skip tonight's night run. Deb thinks we could go to the 'event village" and get dinner from the food van. Instead, we eat at the Collie Italian Club, a good choice.

We've asked for breakfast to be ready early so we can get to the Saturday morning run.

About 10pm, we're in bed, almost asleep. I ask Deb, What day is it today?

Ahhh... We left home on Thursday So today is... Friday. There is no night run tonight. there would be no food van. Oops.

There is no "Saturday" run, there is a run on Sunday...

We wake up ridiculously early -- to get to a run which is... not till tomorrow. We cut our losses...

We pack up. Start driving home. Today. Saturday. We planned to drive home on Sunday.

At Harvey, we stop for a snack. I phone the b&b hostess, tell her we have done a runner. I gloss over any explanation of Why :-)

Now we're home. A day earlier than planned. A classic holiday... one of our best :-)

Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

... f"Question authority. Don't expect to like the answer." ... per Ginger Meggs


===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



1 comment: