Monday, April 12, 2021

prepare to be sympathetic!

Al last -- I have some real symptoms :-) Other than falling over in a fun run, that is.

To save the suspense: I do not see -- or do not notice -- things on my left. Oh, and I have regular -- mild -- headaches. Nothing to worry about except that headaches are not -- usually -- something I have. Oh, yes, and I do have cancer in the head... So perhaps I should worry? Maybe later.

I've just emailed the cancer doc, asked her if running round in a mad panic is likely to help. Otherwise, I'll see her in a few weeks.

Not seeing things to the left, that's easy to spot... well, no. It took Deb to spot it. I simply ignore what is happening. Of course :-) So, what is happening?

Deb has started to scream while I'm driving. screaming things like, Look out for that parked car!! Ohhh that parked car. Once it's pointed out -- I see it.

The very first indication is a lot smaller than a parked car. When I'm reading I don't see the first letter of words. I look again and there it is... it really slows down my reading.

It also seems -- according to Deb -- that I am driving very close to the left side of the road. And yes, I am bumping into kerbs... quite often. Kerbs on the left.

One day I'm running round the lake. Dratted trees, hanging over the path, I run straight through the hanging branches... on my left.

On the same run, I wander off the track, to the left, of course. May as well wander off to the left, there's nothing there -- as far as I can see.

Crashing into things while running, not a problem. Just adds some excitement to the run. (Next week's night run should be fun :-)

Crashing into things while driving, that could be a bit more serious.

Even a week ago -- before we noticed my left-challenged vision -- I let Deb drive. This was taking our grandson to swimming. I was feeling old and senile -- not fit to drive a grandson. Now, the problem is more specific. And definite.

I suspect that my driving days are over. Certainly -- immediately -- Deb will do the driving. ( Or I may join the modern world -- shudder -- and use Uber.)

Here's another annoying thing: When I type the letter A there is a high chance that my finger will drift to the unseen space to the left -- and hit the caps lock key. I'm constantly having to turn off the caps lock key :-(

Running, driving and typing are difficult for the left-challenged. But it gets worse.

I am eating dinner. I notice that half of my meal is on the .table. Yes, on the table to the left of my plate. Didn't see that happening, did I?!

I clear my plate. Delicious, I say. Then I notice and pick up the food from the table, put it back on my plate. (Hey! not going to waste it!) So I clear my plate and push the plate away... and see that there is still food on the plate. Yes... on the left of my plate.

I clear my plate again... not. I Try again -- checking the entire plate. To see if I have really eaten everything.

Later, Deb tells me that I ate all the food on the right half of my plate. Well, that is the food that I can see...

Going back a bit: My last few MRI scans showed a shadow on my brain. It didn't seem to grow so it is labelled as radiation necrosis. The shadow may (according to my dodgy memory) be on a bit of brain that relates to vision.  I think it's on the right hemisphere. So: my instant analysis is, my necrotic -- yes, dead -- patch of brain is affecting my left-side vision.

Bad necrosis is -- to me -- good news. The alternative is, a fast-growing tumour.

And here's more good news:

Deb identifies my left-challenged vision. It all fits together, yes. (Deb is brilliant :-) It may be necrosis. It may be cancer. Either way -- I am vastly cheered. Yes, really. You see, I had thought that I was going senile. I've already accustomed myself to cancer... as the devil I know. I did not really want the new devil of going gaga.

So, sympathy please. For Deb, that is. She is about to do a lot more driving. And a lot more wiping the table. To the left of where I sit.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

... for the greater good ... against the corrupt metastasis of oligarchic power that stomps on humanity's neck everywhere" ... Sacranist creed, Thin Air

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment