Tuesday, April 27, 2021

the plot thickens

Last Thursday we saw the cancer doc. She mentioned various things, such as possible radiation, exploratory surgery and a week of dex.

We have the understanding that I will swallow dex for a week. The doc will then call to see if I am improving.

Well good news :-) I'm regaining a lot of peripheral vision. I no longer walk into things -- as long as I keep alert. Typing is noticeably easier. (As far as *I* can tell :-) Perhaps all that I am typing is rubbish :-?

So we're expecting a call -- on Thursday, the day she works in the office -- from the cancer doc.

Meanwhile... I get a call from the brain surgeon.

From the surgeon's secretary. She leaves a voice message. In a very faint voice. It takes me a day to notice the message, another two days to understand who she is and what she wants. Then it's the long weekend.

Eventually, today, I phone her back. I still have trouble understanding her. Finally...

The cancer doc contacted the surgeon. The surgeon left a message with his secretary, to get me an "urgent" appointment for Thursday. "Urgent"?! What has changed since we saw the cancer doc?! The secretary knows no more.

I reason it out: The surgeon must be another doctor who only appears in an office on Thursdays. So it's this Thursday, or wait another week. Rather than being urgent I see it as, Let's get this started.

Still, it's an indicator: Unless the surgeon completely misunderstood the cancer doc, I'm guessing that opening up my head is becoming a favoured option. Sometime in the future. And the future may be closer than we thought.

It makes sense. MRI images are good but need interpretation. Open up, look round, get a look at what is really there. Necrosis? swelling? tumour?

In the more out-there possibilities: If it turns out that there is another tumour, get a sample. There's been mention of special treatment by something which is tailored to match the exact tumour. For which, a tumour sample is essential. At least to find out whether the treatment is applicable or not.

Deb is very worried. I tell her, really, it's no change since last Thursday. Deb doesn't like the seemingly increased possibility that I will be in for more brain surgery.

Me? worried but not as much as Deb.

The last few weeks have been very much up and down. Way down, to expectations of imminent death. Now... I think I'm back where I should be: If it happens, it happens. Meanwhile... enjoying life.

My main worry is... If I do get booked in for more brain surgery... will I have time to first get my hair cut very short?


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Failure is not an option. It's a lifestyle." ... per Ginger Meggs

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

1 comment: