Monday, March 12, 2018

books, shakes, side-effects & a rogaine

In an earlier post I mentioned a couple of books about cancer. Just in case someone who actually has cancer trips over this blog, I'll now name the books. (Though I do hope that you, my reader, do not have cancer. Reading this blog may spoil your enjoyment of the experience.)

... "Before and After Cancer Treatment" by Julie K Silver

This book is for the "cancer survivor" who is getting back to a more normal life. There is advice on understanding your physical, emotional, mental and spiritual states -- and improving them. To me it seems that the advice is generally good for cancer survivors -- and for people who just want to feel better.

... "Never Say Die" by Chris O'Brien

The author died of my type of brain cancer -- and was in denial all the way. He wants every prognosis to include "hope" -- that is, a few reassuring lies about the chances of the patient surviving. I prefer truth -- then the doctor can help me, the patient, cope with the reality. It's also disappointing that the author -- a respected cancer surgeon -- eventually dumps all scientific training and attempts a couple of "quack" cures. With all his medical expertise he does not even mention any attempt to scientifically test the effectiveness of these "alternative" treatments. On the other hand -- it's reassuring to read about another person who went through a similar treatment process to my own.
===

In another post I mentioned the hand tremors. I was not sure that I still had them... Well, I do! In both hands. It comes and goes. I noticed it when I was making a cup of tea and spilt some milk. Still, no use crying over that... :-)
===

DrT has allowed me to stop taking the anti-epileptic-fit tablets. I was on two a day, now I'm on one a day, next week will be none. Already I can notice some changes. No, it's not that I'm now having epileptic fits...

Having halved the anti-fit dosage -- I am less sleepy. It's been only a few days -- but I have done less falling asleep during the day. (Right now I'm wide awake in the middle of the night. But that's only because I've swallowed one tablet and need to wait before taking the four chemo tablets.)

Another side-effect of the anti-fit is irritability. I hope Deb doesn't expect me to now be less irritable :-(

I've suspected -- and am now getting evidence -- that the anti-fit is also affecting my digestion. Not necessarily in a bad way, just changing it.

Yes, here we go with more poo analysis...

Okay, my digestion has been stuffed around. Yet -- in the weeks when all seems to be going well -- there are noticeable differences to long-term normal operation. For one thing, it smells different.

No, I don't go sniffing my poo. It's just that the smell is there, I notice it, I notice when it is different. In recent months my poo has smelled like bitumen. Yes, it smells like the stuff on the surface of roads. Since reducing the anti-fit dosage, that smell is less obvious.

Does your poo float? Mine used to, mostly. In recent months my poo has not floated, it just sinks to the bottom of the bowl. (Again, I don't deliberately stare at my passed poo... it's just something that I notice. And remember.) Now -- on my reduced dosage -- the poo is starting to float again. Interesting...

Okay, not a topic for dinner-time conversation. But interesting... in my opinion :-)

And if the poo is returning to pre-cancer normal -- it's also a sign that my body is shaking off some of the side-effects of treatment. These side-effects may be perfectly harmless. But I prefer my body to work as it has -- successfully enough -- for most of my life.
===

Urgh! just swallowed four chemo tablets. I'll wrap up this post and get back to bed for a couple of hours...
===

On Saturday we -- Deb, her sister and I -- went on a rogaine. (For the uninitiated, a rogaine involves walking through the bush for many hours, trying to find points marked on a map. It's fun. Really!)

We walked for almost four hours, covered just over nine kilometres, climbed 257m. That includes time for a picnic in the bush. And I've found that bushwalking is about twice as slow as walking on roads or trails. We averaged -- in the past -- just over 3km per hour.

By our previous standards, yesterday's rogaine was quite slow and not very far. By current standards -- it is far enough. For myself, I am pleased to be walking so far! And it was a most enjoyable day... it's great to get out in the bush again :-)
===

And btw: You may have noticed that I don't name names. Except for "Deb" because it would be silly to continually refer to "my wife".

A blog is a great place to tell the world -- or my reader -- about people, places and activities. I just don't want to add to the enormous amount of personal data which is displayed for all to see. For myself, I don't mind. The benefits of "getting it all off my chest" outweigh the embarrassment. And the embarrassment will end soon after the last posting :-)

For other people, it does not seem fair for me to post comments which allow complete strangers to say, Oooohh, look what so-and-so once did.

Except for Deb. Who just has to put up with her name in print.










Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Avoid criticism: say, do and be nothing." … per Ginger Meggs

===

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed. Four hours of walking in the bush. Cheers Col

    ReplyDelete