Monday, March 26, 2018

pushing up hill

My exercise theory now is, I have no need to save my body for the long term... So on Sunday I entered the longest and steepest course at orienteering.

On Thursday I had tested myself at Reabold Hill: 5.4km, 146m climb, just under 50 minutes. No worries.

Sunday I jogged & walked 5.4km, 214m climb -- in almost 100 minutes. Oh... and that was after I took a short-cut at the end of the course and recorded a "dnf", "did not finish".

To put it in context: Deb did a different course, went a little bit further, climbed a little bit higher... but my average speed was faster! So there :-)

At the end I was totally exhausted. You know what? I thoroughly enjoyed myself :-)

It was what I was after, a tough "run" -- tough, that is, for my level of fitness. Tough? At one point I was walking along a level piece of ground, one of the very few level parts of the course. I was walking -- and could barely keep moving -- on level ground. That was when I decided that I should dnf.
===

The orienteering event was far enough from home that we drove south on Saturday, stayed the night in a very nice "farm cottage" then drove a short way to the event on Sunday.

And guess who drove there? And back home again? Me!

I was excited. Deb was nervous.

I was down to one anti-fit tablet per day. I survived two days of driving without falling unconscious. Now I have stopped the anti-fit entirely. One less drug! A couple of weeks till the next week of chemo. A couple of weeks drug free :-)
===

Of course, if symptoms... recur... I'll see my doctor. The long term prognosis is still... not *long* term. But it was a great weekend :-) And that's something to be glad about!







Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Il est bon que le cœur soit naïf et que l'esprit ne le soit pas." … Anatole France

===

1 comment:

  1. As I have previously said, you are a mega man and as tough as they come. Cheers Col

    ReplyDelete