Saturday, July 8, 2017

Broome & Beyond: Fortescue River

Saturday July 9th, evening

I drove and drove and drove... and reached Fortescue River Roadhouse. Where they do have accommodation. My "room" is not only in a transportable -- there are wheels on the transportable! It's a caravan divided into four very small rooms. No worries, it's a bed for the night. So much for my plans to pitch a tent wherever I happen to be :-)

Dinner was... interesting. I chose the "fisherman's basket".

Exactly as expected, it was deep fried battered this and that. Plus chips. Lots and lots of chips! Far more than I would normally eat. Even the truck driver at the next table found there were more chips than he could handle.

At first bite I thought, Wow! chips flavoured with curry! As I ate more I realised, no, not curry. Just so much salt that my taste buds had gone into overload... I ended up eating even less chips than I would normally.

My room is smaller than last night's. The bed is rock hard, inner spring, I'll sleep like a log no matter what. No en suite, I use the shared ablutions block about 50m away. Oh well... I'll also check out the nearest bushes... (Or, poossibly, clumps of spinifex.)

And in other news:

Wildlife!!

There are quite a few kangaroos. The only visible ones are dead on the road.

I've seen half a dozen raptors. By which I mean, birds of prey not hollywood movie dinosaurs. Some are quite close, either watching the road or eating off the road. A couple of big black ones -- eagles, surely.

And... wait for it... I saw an emu with about ten little emu chicks!

Aaaahhhh shucks :-)

And that, I hope, is it for today.



====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot." ... André Breton


   

No comments:

Post a Comment