Monday, July 17, 2017

Broome & Beyond: post-run recovery

Sunday 16th July, written at 2pm

We get up as the caravan park shows signs of people stirring... general sound of movement, a car or two moving out. Not disturbing sounds -- except that we are keyed up to wake up early. We're up at five to six, five minutes before the alarm.

Tea, breakfast, an extra bit of banana for me. We head off, to arrive at Cable beach Surf Club with fifteen minutes to wait for the 7:15 pre-run briefing...

And we're off !

Deb heads off towards Point Gantheaume, I head to Coconut Well. Deb will run 10.5km, a quarter of a marathon. I will run a half marathon. (The full marathon is one of mine plus two of Deb's.) The tide is still going out, it will be low tide at about 8:45.

The sand is firm and flat. We had worried that there would be a sideways slope but it's level. Okay, up and down a bit but it's easy to pick a level path. Deb tells me that she moved to the back of her mob and stayed there. I'm with perhaps eight people, spread out, watching the pelloton move gradually away.

After the first five km, us tail-enders do a bit of position swapping. I push just a little harder and overtake a man who then, slowly, drops behind. There's a woman who overtakes me on the way out, I pass her on the way back and finish just a minute or two ahead of her. She may be pregnant, I take every advantage that I can :-)

In sight of the finish -- and in sight of the main beach at Cable Beach -- and there's a nest of umbrellas on the beach. It doesn't inspire me to stay near the beach! Anyway... I run through them and past the finish. Two and a half hours and I beat a few other runners :-)

Deb is waiting at the finish... She may not have beaten anyone but enjoyed the run. Though it was a bit dispiriting to see everyone else pull ahead. (Same with me but I overcome that by aiming to keep up with someone who is *not* pulling ahead!) And Deb doesn't get a medal :-( Still, we are both glad that we were in the run, it gives an extra purpose to being in Broome.

On my way out (the first half of the run) there were about four beach shelters and groups of people. On the way back there were a few dozen, plus cars and plenty of people. (Including one man walking back to his friends. Noticeable only because he was not wearing any pants.) Then the crowd of umbrellas at the end.

All broad beach, all the way. Good place for a man with a bucket and spade, until the cars arrived. An interesting place for a run :-)

Back home. Iced coffee for recovery, tea for more recovery. Pot noodles for lunch, we couldn't be bothered going out. I had Satay Chicken Flavour... satay because I added peanut paste. Very nice :-)

Relaxing for a couple of hours. Till we go out to post-run presentations at Matso's (they are sponsors). Dinner is booked for the same place as last night. It was good food and a very pleasant spot.

I have also booked a hotel room for Kununurra. I plan to visit the farm during the day but sleep (and probably eat dinner) in town. No use wearing out my welcome...

Time now for a bit more relaxing.


====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"Fortune, seeing that she could not make fools wise, has made them lucky." - Michel de Montaigne

https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/
   

No comments:

Post a Comment