Friday, July 21, 2017

Broome & Beyond: getting close to Willare

Friday 21st July

I wake up at the crack of dawn. Luckily for me, dawn does not crack till after 5:30. I pack and prepare to leave. But am determined to start the day with a good hotel breakfast, so have to wait till breakfast is served at 7am.

At 7:05 I reach for the handle of the door to the breakfast area -- just as the hotel receptionist is unlocking from the other side.

I eat a hearty (continental) breakfast. Yes, it is just $13. I pay my account. And drive.

And drive and drive and drive. There's nothing else I want to do... I feel the urge to be home again !

As usual I start slowly, gradually warming up. By the time I turn south onto Great Northern Highway -- but going south!? -- I'm ready for full speed. Which is about 105 on cruise control. It's a comfortable speed.

I zoom past Doon Doon. Only item of interest is a black snake crossing the road. A bit later I see a small goanna -- 40cm perhaps -- with his tail curled into a loop. He's facing away from the road so I don't worry that he will bolt under my wheels.

There are eagles and other raptors everywhere! The magnificent eagle, king of the birds, soaring majestically... They lose some of their majesty when a half dozen eagles flap up off a squashed piece of roadkill. One flaps too slowly and hits the edge of the truck. I don't see if he crash lands, the truck is unhurt.

There's a one lane bridge across a creek. (One of several on this stretch of road.) I'm slowing down, the car ahead is slowing down and stopping. Why stop so soon? I wonder, he's nowhere near the bridge. Then I see the young brahman bull standing across the white line in the middle of the road. We wait till the bull deigns to move.

(That incident is really from the way up. I don't want to say, I forgot to mention. Assume that it happened either now or earlier.)

For a while I'm stuck between two cars. The car+caravan ahead is going at a good speed -- but keeps slowing down. The car+caravan behind is too close to my tail. It's a pleasantly winding road with good scenery, I'd just sit well behind -- if not for the tailgater. Finally I overtake. And don't see either car again.

Drive past Warmun, I've been there before :-)

I stop for fuel at Halls Creek. Also buy a sandwich, chocolate & iced coffee for lunch. The man behiind the counter says that if I spend just $8 more I get 10c per litre off my fuel... We calculate... I buy $8 of extras, I save $8 on fuel. Fair enough :-) I buy a packet of biscuits (good for snacking). Another chocolate bar for later -- and a pie, which I eat in the truck before I drive on.

Fuel at HC: 76 litres at 143.9, $110
... which took me 656 km

Dang! I spent an extra $8 for a saving of only $7.65 ! Still that did get me dinner :-)

Out of Halls Creek and on to Fitzroy Crossing. Half way to FC I notice something odd: the steady flow of cars with caravans heading east (to HC) has changed to a steady flow of just cars. My interpretation: the cars are driving from "dry" FC to not-dry HC, on time for the Friday night pub session. Sigh.

I stop for a coffee at FC's other roadhouse. From this side of the road the town seems much more pleasant. Perception adjusted by mood, I guess :-)

Now I'm close -- 130km -- to Willare roadhouse. Will I spend the night there, or drive on a bit and sleep in a truck bay? Probably drive on... in which case, I need a break from driving.

I pull over into a truck bay which includes an enormous boab. I'm just settling in -- sending an email to Deb, preparing to write this blog post -- when a car zooms by. I notice it because it sounds as though it has a loose canvas cover flapping in the wind. What it has, is a burst tyre.

I wonder if I can help. Probably not, I have no practical skills. He's pulled over 200m down the road, he can walk here if he thinks I can help. When I next look -- fifteen minutes later -- he's gone. Seems the driver had both skills and a spare wheel.

I type this post. The sun has now set -- a smear of bright orangey-red across the horizon. I can barely see the keyboard.

Time to post -- it may send, internet is intermittent -- and then I drive on to Willare.




====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"If it's green, it's biology; if it stinks, it's chemistry; if it has numbers, it's maths; if it doesn't work, it's technology" – Author unknown.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment