Sunday, July 23, 2017

Broome & Beyond: next morning, still near Karijini

Sunday 23rd July, early morning

A cold and restless night. Thank goodness for reverse cycle air con... not.

I wake up in the middle of the night, cold. Not to worry, I turn on the air con. It shows a bright and friendly "22". I'm asleep again within a minute.

Wake up again, cold. The air con is blowing happily and showing "22" but it's still cold. I turn on the room light and examine the remote control. It's set to "FAN".

I press "mode". FAN changes to three liittle dots. With imagination, each dot could be shaped as a drop of water. So this mode must add moisture to dry air. Or, poossibly, remove moisture from damp air. Apparently you can choose dry/wet air or temperature control but not both.

Next mode is a snowflake. Does this mean, "Heat the air when it's snowing outside"? Or does it mean, "Create cold snow inside the room." After ten minutes I decide that it's not the weather, it's the result. The air con is blowing cold. Not sure why it's blowing at all -- the room temperature is already below that bright and cheerful 22.

Final mode is a sun icon. No effect. Until... five minute later, I feel a gust of warm air! Success! Let's go for broke...

I push the temperature up to 24. The air con sits in sullen silence. One blast of warm air is its limit. Now it's not blowing at all.

By now I'm wide awake and the sun willl be up soon. I get up. Make a cup of tea. Crank the air con temperature up to 28...

Lo and behold ! Another gust of warm air!

btw: I can tell that this was once a mining camp. The kettle has an electrical safety inspection tag. It's due to be re-checked, in 2014...

I wonder... "FAN" means, the fan will blow air. Why not use "COOL" to indicate that the air con will COOL the room? And WARM to indicate that it will WARM the room?! Better yet, if I set "22" as the temperature that I want -- let the air con decide whether to warm a cold room or cool a hot room... Is that too difficult?!

And so, another cranky start to another long day :-)

The sun is almost up. I refuse to leave this room until I have drunk enough tea to use up all of the "free" milk in the fridge. I may not be sleeping. But I will be relaxing.

On the bright side: It's morning, so the hotspot works. The results of our Broome runs are available... Deb beat one person, I beat a few. On my preferred scale of running success -- we are both within 100% of the winner's time ! A brilliant effort :-) And an enjoyable run.


====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"Lawyers pay for their mistakes, doctors bury them, architects grow ivy on them. And consultants charge for them."
   

No comments:

Post a Comment