Sunday, May 27, 2018

running and bragging

Friday morning... I'm still worried. About handyman work around the house & a fun run on Sunday. So worried, that I'm even wondering if I will enjoy looking after our grandson :-( Well, not to worry!

I'm tired -- as usual. Deb does most of the child-minding -- as usual. The morning is swimming lesson, where I just watch the lesson & mind the clothes. And, today, doze. Oh, and I sleep for almost an hour after lunch...

But by then, being with Deb & our grandson has worked its usual magic: I'm enjoying myself :-) So Friday afternoon is excellent.

Saturday, a few things to keep us busy. And I don't worry about anything -- except tomorrow's fun run. It will be twelve km!

A month ago I ran an 8km fun run, no worries. My longest training run has been 7km. All I have to do on Sunday is 12km... Hmmm.

Also, this run starts in the middle of the city. Down past the bus port. That's the bus port that I passed -- without seeing -- while running "unconscious" -- last year, at the start of my cancer adventure. Am I nervous? Yes! Am I worried? Not really. There is no reason that I should fall over tomorrow. I'm feeling fine, it's only two months since a clear scan. All good.

So it's just the distance -- and a potentially cold, wet start -- that has me worried. So worried that other possible worries don't have a chance to worry me... And that's something to be glad about :-)
===

Change of topic: I've had my hair cut down to a "number one" cut, since the radiation created a bald spot. I'm letting it grow back -- just a couple of mm so far -- but Deb says that I need another close cut. I guess that the bald area is still there :-)

And there's something mysterious about the regrowth. Must be the drugs, or worry, or radiation... My hair is growing back grey! Goodness! how could that be? Oh, yes... it was grey before. rofl :-)
===

And then there's my cold. Or, I should say, the family cold. Son & his wife and their child had it. Deb had it. I had it. Son, grandson & Deb are now coughing, not very nice. Me? My nose runs a bit...

When I get a cold I look after myself: keep warm, eat well, sleep a lot. And Deb looks after me. Deb, however, just keeps on going as usual... and doesn't have anyone to shower her with care & attention. (I do offer sympathy and tissues.) So my cold is not as serious. And:

I just stared the cold virus in it beady little eyes and said, You call that a disease? Ha! Now *this* is a disease! And the virus slunk away, cowed and defeated... lmao :-)
===

Okay, back to the run...

Sunday, crack of dawn, off to the city. Occasional drizzle but it's quite warm. Deb's run starts an hour after mine, so I walk alone to the start. (Alone, that is, except for the 36,000 other runners... but they don't count.)

I am constantly doing my "VSE" -- visual surveillance of environment. That is, I look for a landmark ahead, notice it when I pass, remember it later. This is because the first sign of my brain tumour was on a fun run, when I failed to see things. Such as the start banner, which I was actively looking for. I passed it -- but still wondered why it was not there... So now I look out for things. If I start to miss the obvious -- I just hope that I will have the sense to stop!

Today, no worries :-) Everything is there, where expected. Phew!

The weather is cool and damp, perfect. And to cut a long story short: I jog non-stop, finish the run, and can still walk :-)

My slowest (as minutes per km) fun run ever! (Except for a rather difficult marathon.) But I finish! And am very pleased.
===

Deb and our older son also ran. Deb ran a shorter course, fast enough. Son ran the 12km... faster than me... as usual. Bah! no more to be said :-)
===

And it wouldn't be a blog post without a poo reference. So, with that warning...

I've noticed that my poo sinks. Pre cancer -- pre trying to digest cytotoxic drugs, pre radiation to the head and gut -- my poo generally floated. For months now, it sinks.

And now, this morning -- my poo floats again! Have I finally digested the last of the various drugs that I have swallowed? Has my gut finally recovered from its doses of radiation? Have I changed my diet? (No to that last one.) I take it as a return to "normal". I take it as a good sign.

That's my gut, fighting back to normal operation. But what about my brain? The results of my latest MRI scan will be available... later this week. What, me worry? Well, right now... not really. I'm too pleased to have survived a 12km fun run :-)








Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"That which does not kill us does not kill us." … attributed to Conan the Barbarian

===

1 comment:

  1. Twelve k run, you amaze me. You set such a powerful and positive example for me and I reckon everyone that knows you. Cheers Col

    ReplyDelete