Sunday, September 30, 2018

Another day

Highlight of the morning: a snake on the track ! Not very big, just a few cm tall. But long ! Oh yes, long. If I had lifted it up by the tail it could still have bitten my ankles. Oh... no, I don't lift it up, at all. There's an exclamation behind me. I correct her, No, a snake. We wait, stamp our feet a bit. The snake moves off the track.

Apart from that: lots of sand, rocks, sea views and sun. No shade, no shelter, constant wind. The track is quite good, not too rough, not much soft sand. I walk more than half of it in thongs.

I do enjoy a few km through woodland. Trees, shelter, scenic variety.

The day's walk is, in fact, a bit of a curate's egg.

The final -- so I believe, final -- challenge is the crossing of the Margaret River. "Knee deep", according to a tour organiser this morning. We watch a surfer walk across, it's up to his armpits. And flowing fast.

Deb and her sister look for a place to drown while crossing. I flatly refuse to try. With strong language and high emotion in support of my decision. We finally phone the organisers, they send a canoe and paddle us across, it's a standard part of their service.

Final challenge ? Not quite. There's another 2km to walk. In an unpleasantly cold wind with a threat of rain. About 21km today, in eight and a half hours.

Accommodation is very nice. Except for the shower... As far as I can tell -- because I don't wear my reading glasses into the shower -- hot and cold taps are unlabelled. I turn on one tap and wait... and wait... wondering if it will ever deliver hot water.

I finally sort it out. Then someone, somewhere, turns on a tap and I lose all hot water. In my efforts to fix this, I finally realise that hot and cold taps turn on in different directions... Good grief.

But the towel is large and absorbent :-)

We eat takeaways: food from the restaurant that is packed to take back to our room. I pick it up from the warm, dim, cheerful, crowded restaurant with music and tv. And am very glad to be eating back in our room with good light, peace & quiet and limited, good company.

The entire day, is a bit of a curate's egg :-)






====    Dr Nick Lethbridge  /  Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
===

"You can fool all of the people some of the time. Some of the people all the time. And make a fool of yourself... anytime." … Ginger Meggs
===

dying for you to read my blog: notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au :-)
====
   

1 comment:

  1. Don't like snakes. But believe they should be left alone.

    ReplyDelete