Wednesday, September 12, 2018

don't forget the balls !

Another scan, a PET scan this time. The PET scans the body -- torso -- to check for traces of spreading testicular cancer. Low probability, low impact if it happens. Does it scan the balls... sorry, ball... as well ? I'm not sure. Not to worry, testicular cancer was easy to spot, my right ball went rock hard.

If your testicle goes hard -- get to a doctor ! It didn't seem very long that I ignored my own hard nut but it was long enough for the cancer to spread upwards. Oh well, that cancerous nut is gone, it would have gone anyway. An earlier visit to a GP could have prevented the need for radiation therapy on the spreading cancer.

I've learnt from that experience... I check the remaining ball for hardening. I check it regularly. Perhaps three or four times a day... Hey ! it's fun :-)
===

The remaining ball is still keen to be put to use. The mind and rest of body are interested but lack the get up & go -- occasional good signs but undependable. I was thinking that an upcoming walking holiday could be all sex, drugs & rock & roll... Looks as though I'll be bringing that Best of Rock & Roll CD and doing a lot of walking. Heh ! will still be fun :-)
===

Sunday night I eat a hearty dinner then fast from midnight. Just water, till the PET scan at 7:30am. Wake at six, glass of water, out the door before I can think of the missing breakfast.

I make sure that I'm early. The scan is at SCGH, I'm not familiar with the layout. Yes, I've been there before but usually semi-conscious. Or completely unconscious. All I really remember is, I always feel better afterwards :-)

There's a queue of cars going into the carpark, nearly all are going into staff parking. Public parking is still almost empty -- though nearly all spaces are for ACROD users. On the far side... a dozen or more spaces for those still walking.

There must be more floors for public parking. I never did see any up ramp though I know there are upper storeys.

Across to G Block. "Use the blue lifts", says my appointment letter. Easy, right from the door are signs pointing to the blue lifts. It's a long... long... corridor. But there are plenty of reassuring signs, This way to the blue lifts.

All very easy, all very friendly, I'm soon wearing nothing more than underwear and hospital trousers.

There are, of course, a couple of visits to the toilet. There is a sign which I have not seen before: Please pee sitting down, we don't want "mishaps" while you are radioactive. Oh, right.

I spend an hour resting, while a radioactive something flows through my body. I'm told that it's an hour, I'm not wearing a watch and I sleep for most of the time.

Then walk into the machine room. Lie down, arms raised above my head, stay still. Raising my arms above my head causes a minor ache... I really need to do more exercise and less sitting at a PC.

Yes, as a person currently "clear" of cancer -- all my aches & pains, physical, mental & emotional problems -- are just me. Old age, bad habits, general dissatisfaction. If I'm going to live another three months, I really need to improve my lifestyle !

The PET scanner is clean, white, quiet and open. As opposed to the MRI scanner where I have a mask holding my head still, I can't see and the machine goes bang! bang! bang! as it operates.

Twenty minutes (I'm told) later and I walk out to a "recovery room". It's a curtained alcove where I can sit, rest, get ready to drive home.

With sandwiches ! PET scan patients fast for at least six hours. The hospital provides post-scan sandwiches -- and tea & coffee -- to help recover from the fasting. Brilliant ! Our public hospitals are excellent :-)

Before leaving, a doctor visits. Just to say hello, and no, you have to see your own doctor to get results. And, perhaps, to eyeball the patient to make sure that they are ready to leave.

The doctor who says hello to me, has more to say. It seems that we have met before -- when I collapsed in the fun run ! She tells me that a police officer -- also in the run -- caught me as I fell. She (the police officer) made sure I didn't bang my head on the ground. Then this doctor stayed with me till I went off in an ambulance.

Fun runs are fun in part because of the excellent people who run :-) I am glad of the chance to say thank you in person. And glad to hear that I look a lot better today than I did when I collapsed. All due to clean living and excellent treatment, I guess !

The doctor says that she was glad of the added excitement, glad to be able to help. And she had a good excuse for a slower-than-expected run that year :-)
===

Back to the car. It takes me five minutes to navigate the poorly signed carpark and find the exit.

To the shops for a few essential groceries -- plus food for lunch. Home again, and relax. After doing a load of laundry.
===

A bit later and I get an informal but informed message: the PET scan shows that whatever it scanned, is clear of cancer. Yeehaa !

Head & body, both cancer clear. I'm healthy, till the next scan.

Three months to enjoy life, with or without sex, drugs, rock & roll :-) And that's something to be glad about !








Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"I'm a natural student… because I have so much to learn." … Beyond the Black Stump
===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



1 comment:

  1. Great outcome.keep working on the sex and rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete