Monday, May 29, 2023

dunton green

It seems that we are in dunton Green, Kent. I know that because the met Bureau app tells me. It also tells me the temperature forecast for the next few days: 14, 15, 16, 17. The forecasters are not really trying, are they. At least they do vary between sunny and cloudy.

The North Downs Way passes close to the hotel. Today we follow it.

It's a pleasant walk, mostly between hedges and farmland. Past crops of barley, maybe, and broad beans.
Towards the end we walk next to busy roads.Until we reach the village of Otford. Where traffic is horrendous.

The centre of the village is a pond, fed by a fresh water spring. Around the pond is a traffic roundabout. There is barely a break in the traffic.
We look at the remains of The Bishops Palace, Henry VIII and A-Bs of Canterbury spent Christmas here, them and 3000 hangers-on.
Not much left now, though even the ruin is impressive.

The village church, one of three, is ancient. The whole village is full of centuries of history.
Unfortunately it is also full of people and cars. Very very unpleasant.
Theres a geocache behind the village hall, I discourage Deb from even looking. Im relieved when we start walking home and leave the village.
The walk home is peaceful, pleasant. Were home on time for lunch, at the same pub as yesterday, its close by the hotel.
Tye hotel has a restaurant, probably good. We have breakfast there.

Breakfast is included, so we do.

The restaurant shows Tudor origins. The ceiling beams are above my head but low enough that I want to duck.
I tap the large horizontal timbers and some wall timbers and some walls. It all looks Tudor but some sounds hollow, modern veneer?

At the last hotel we can see everything in the bain maries and I eat a lot.
Here there are closed lids.I cant see the food and I just cant be bothered looking for it.Stupid really but it means that I dont want to eat much. So I dont.
The ceiling crowds me, the table feels crowded, good food but not much fun.


Back home now, resting.


.






--
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...

===

If everyone is thinking the same way, then someone is not thinking.

1 comment: