Saturday, May 27, 2023

Friday Nyman

Today we visit Nyman Garden. It's my favourite garden so far:-)

We're in England... it's time for me to have a breakfast kipper.
My kipper comes with poached eggs. It's very nice but I must say, it's a challenge to eat.
I think you're meant to peel out the spine and a lot of the ribs come with it. My kipper is just hacked apart. Not very elegant at all. I get enough for a meal but there's room for improvement.
The main thing is -- I'm in England and have had a kipper for breakfast.

We follow the gps to Nyman. The first few miles are in and out and round about. Small roads and roundabouts.
Then the road goes straight -- and we are here. We park -- and go for a walk.
We're in the village of Handcroft. The walk starts along a busy road. We wonder why this is a defined walk. Then we turn off into woods.

It's either Nyman Woods or Brockman Woods, depending on whether you look at signs or a map.
It's a small woodland on the edge of the village. The trail starts on a track beside fields, with sheep and lambs. Then into the woods. A pleasant walk in the woods. With a couple of sculptures, no explanation.
A couple of km and we're back at the car, back at the entrance to the gardens. Time for coffee and cake.

We stand in the queue.I hget hot and bothered, sit down, leave Deb to stand in the queue.

Next stop is the toilets... very confusing. A corridor with four doors. I have trouble deciding if the icon is a male or female. There are so many female, have I missed the male?
phew, found it. Use it. Getting out... there are three doors, all exactly the same, which one did I come in from? Not the first time I've been lost inside a toilet.
Daylight! I'm out. We set off around the gardens.

These are definitely my favourite gardens. I find that they are... accessible. I can't quite explain it. The gardens just seem to be... gardens that I could live with.
Whatever it is...I like it.

The gardens are set, as usual, in a large estate, newer than most,19th century. The gardens surround the house, which is partly ruined.

All these English gardens have taken so long to establish. They seem so absolutely ancient. And yet... This garden makes me think.

The house was built in 1890. the next owner rebuilt it as a mediaeval mansion. then it burnt down in 1930. Was largely rebuilt. Three generations worked on the gardens.
The last of the family returned to the house after her second husband died. She lived there. Sold it, moved to a house in the village, died
... By various means the house went to the National Trust.
All that time and effort and... the family is gone.
Seems sad, really.

We drive to home...
Stop for a late but hearty lunch at the first pub we pass, the Jolly Tanner

oh, jumping back...
We once have coffee in a cafe with a good sign: No, we don't have wifi. Feel free to talk to each other.
If I think I've missed something, I'll put it in whenever i think of it :-)
If I think of anything more about today... I'll get back later.



.



.
--
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...

===

If everyone is thinking the same way, then someone is not thinking.

1 comment: