Monday, May 29, 2023

Sunday to Sevenoaks

A peaceful day today.
Breakfast at the Birch, check out, drive to Sevenoaks. No stops, no detours.
Most of the drive is on motorways. lots of cars but free flowing. It seems quite easy. Of course I'm not driving.
At the end of the day, Deb is tired. Enough driving, she says.

The last bit, in town, is tricky but the gps guides us. More on that later.
We arrive.

Donnington Manor Hotel is a "pristinely presented Tudor property".

I'm worried about low ceilings and lugging luggage up narrow and winding staircases.
In fact... this is the most modern hotel so far.
Deb tells me that the outside is Tudor,I didn't notice.
Inside, is a flash modern hotel. Nice, too.

We seem to have reached the limit of Asians in England, this is where they all work. Well, here and closer to London, presumably. Of the dozen people we've dealt with so far, eleven are Asian. Indian? whatever.

The gardens have nice lawns. Plus elephant statues, a Buddha, some abstract sculpture.
All very nice. But not the Tudor that I am expecting.

we arrive at 1230, check-in is 3pm.
We sit in the bar, drink coffee, watch people in the garden. Till our room is ready.

We move in.
Walk a few hundred metres to the Rose and Crown pub. Eat a hearty lunch, planning to get sandwiches for dinner.
The rest of three afternoon we sit in our room and do very little.

oh yes, gps navigation.

The car has a gps. Deb sets it and follows it to town. That gps does not have hotels. Or Deb hasn't found them. So I use Google maps on my phone.
Most of the way I simply agree with the car gps. Then we reach the edge of town and I take over the role of speaking gps. It works.

I owe an apology to the car gps.
It, she, insists on pronouncing Lewes as lew-es. That is, almost Lewis, with the second e of Lewes clearly pronounced.
We hear it a lot, we often drive along Lewes road. It annoys me.
Then we chat with a Newick local, who calls it lew-es. As the car says it.
oh well, live and learn :-)






.
--
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...

===

If everyone is thinking the same way, then someone is not thinking.

1 comment: