Monday, October 2, 2017

a close shave

Sunday:

Feeling fully recovered after Sunday morning! Do you want me to use that word again? Okay (sorry): Constipation. Which -- despite any posts to the contrary -- I have decided was due to two days in hospital:

Two days of not moving much. Extra, unusual drugs such as a general anaesthetic. Plus that hospital food... Nothing wrong with it, just less "filler" than I am used to: no extra carbs, no extra fats, no extra sugars... So (this is my own theory) my body needs all the food available. With no leftovers to be pushed through.

I spend two days absorbing food rather than absorbing nourishment & passing out waste. Nothing to do? Waste processor closes down... till I get home and start to eat more than I really need. And find that the "close down" has left a blockage.

Anyway: Sunday afternoon I'm fine & Sunday dinner is a feast :-)

====

After dinner... Nina shaves my head.

Part of the pre-radiation discussion is a list of possible side-effects. Mostly minor. One likely thing is, that my hair will fall out. But only where I am zapped with the XYZ-rays... A "number one" hair cut is a good option... so that falling-out patches are not so visible.

So Nina shaves my head. With pet-grooming clippers :-)

I don't look, not that night. Just enjoy the experience. Next morning I glance in a mirror -- and it's quite a shock! I look like a sportsman, says Deb. Hmmm, maybe :-)

It's perhaps a "number three", exactly what I want. Not quite the bald look. Well, except where it was already balding... But so short that it won't need brushing! And it should still be quite short at the end of the six week plan.

Another step in my preparation :-)

====

Monday:

Deb is at work. I have plenty to do. Instead, I decide to go out. Roger lives near a shopping centre... a centre which is just a single bus trip from home. We haven't met since my fun run fallover, it's time to meet. I email Roger... no immediate response... I decide to head over anyway.

First, I pack a small bag with the essentials for travel within the metro area. It's surprising, really: travel by car and if you forget something you just turn round and head home again. Travel by bus and it seems to be more complicated. Especially if what you forget is the bus fare! So I am preparing my, "going out by bus" bag...

And it all goes very well.

The bus system is simple. I time my travel for the "free for seniors" time of day. Travel, meet, drink coffee, discuss & solve the world's problems... And head home again.

It's all roads and places that I have travelled through before. Many times. But always by car. (Well, except for a few times when I jogged.)

Doing it today by bus is -- surprisingly satisfying :-)

====

At home again. Various things to be organised, some to do with cancer treatment. And we commit -- sort of -- to the weekend rogaine. We have registered for a 12 hour rogaine. With a note to the organisers, to not be surprised if we fail to appear. If we do get there, we will not walk for very long... just enough to enjoy a walk in the bush :-)

Today I book a motel, for the night before the event. It will break the journey there. The booking is another firming of our decision to go...

Life is more than sitting at home... worrying. We have a three year planning horizon. Time to plan for some bush-walking enjoyment :-)


=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"A lot of people cry when they chop onions. The trick is to not form an emotional bond." … Jimmy Carr
====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment