Friday, October 13, 2017

Current Status ​as at: Fri 13 Oct 2017

This is my current situation. If anything significant changes, I will
​ 
post a new status in a similar format. Then I will replace the
​ 
Current Status page, to provide a quick look at how I am, "today". The immediately previous status was posted on Mon 25 Sep 2017.

Situation


...
​ 
I have brain cancer, GBM. This will kill me, sooner than if I did not have a cancer.

... I also have testicular cancer. This is harmless -- relatively speaking :-) The cancerous testicle was removed by surgery on 27 Sep. It was a "seminoma", a form of tumour which spreads quite slowly. Though it has already spread to my lymph nodes.

I will *not* die immediately. I may live for months or for years. Just... I have a shorter life expectancy than if I did not have brain cancer. For convenience I plan for a Life Expectancy of "3+1+n".
 
That is:

... from Today I expect to live for another
​ 
Three Years, One Calendar Month and an Unknown Number of Days.

This expectation is -- statistically speaking -- optimistic.

Physical Status

A tumour has been removed from my brain. On 11th October I began my first (six-week) session of chemotherapy + radiation treatment ("chemoradiotherapy"). Sessions will repeat, in various forms, ad infinitum -- until pointless. The aim is to *maintain* both life & quality of life. No cure is expected.

A tumorous testicle has been removed. The second chemoradiotherapy sessions will (probably) be extended to also treat the now-round-my-lymph-nodes testicular cancer.

I am feeling very well. Last weekend I walked (with Deb) 14km on a bush rogaine. Finished tired but otherwise undamaged. Physically, I believe that I am fully recovered from both surgeries, with no direct effects from the cancer.

There is a slight ache in my groin where I was cut to remove the testicle. The scar is healing well, the urologist surgeon says that I can try jogging again in a week or two. Other than that I have no physical pain.

Mental Status

I believe that I am as mentally alert as ever.

I am still enjoying the intellectual aspects of the adventure: a chance to go where every person will eventually go -- but with plenty of time to examine the scenery.

I sleep perhaps 60% of what I feel I need. Most of this is restless energy: whenever I have a new thought I want to write it down, analyse it, understand it -- before it is lost. Then I can forget it -- and relax again. Some of this is "coping" by keeping my mind active but not circling round pointlessly.

Emotional Status

Positive. Sure, I will be dying earlier than I expected. Other than that, my death is still ticking all my personal boxes of, This is the way that I want to die. With a niggling little thought of, So far...

Cheerful. I believe that I'm accepting. If I'm in denial... it is well hidden from me.

I have had the occasional wtf moments of disbelief. (What?! am I really dying?) The worst has lasted less than a minute.

I am still glad that it is me dying of cancer. And not Deb or the kids.

All surgery is over (for now), that's a relief. I've started the chemoradiotherapy, it's easy and efficient, that's a relief. I'm a little worried about side-effects which may appear as the treatment continues.

We (Deb & I) will soon begin planning for the next (four hour) rogaine and -- hopefully -- a short holiday. After the current treatment session ends.

I do have some current worries. Same ones as in my previous (25 Sep) status. Add this at the top:

... I believe that Deb worries about my impending death more than I do. I can see inside my mind, I know how I am feeling. Deb can only watch & worry. And look after me :-)

That's my status right now. If it changes, I will post an updated status
​ ​
to the blog and update the Current Status page.

Unless, of course, my Current Status has changed to Dead :-)

=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." ... Albert Einstein


====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment