Monday, October 9, 2017

another way to look at things ?

On my Current Status page on this blog I use three categories: physical, mental & emotional status. My brother suggested the need for a good environment which considers internal & external, physical, mental, spiritual & social needs. I'm thinking, Yes, six aspects of my life which will affect my three measures of current status. Nice!

I'll test the aspects, see if I get new insights from a different point of view... And I hope that does not sound like sarcasm. I do enjoy testing a different point of view. Whether I end up agreeing with the new view, the exercise is always useful. And usually enjoyable.

Today I am improving my spiritual & social environment: Deb & I spend the morning at the zoo with our grandson.

Perth Zoo is my version of "spiritual": it lifts my spirit. Not as much as "natural bush" perhaps. But the zoo brings me peace & enjoyment & and a feeling of people doing the best they can in an over-developed world. Today's "spiritual environment" -- the zoo -- feeds into and improves my emotional status.

To me, spiritual and emotional are closely linked. To avoid confusion, I evaluate both together, as "emotional" status.

Walking & talking with Deb always satisfies a social need. Which, as usual, has improved my emotional status :-)

Spending the day with our grandson is similar: improving my social environment with the flow-on effect of improved emotional status. Even better: today he is comfortable enough with my new -- shaven -- hair style to comment on it... to fully accept it :-)

We walk 3.3km round the zoo in 2 hours 21 minutes. Back home again and I sleep longer than the toddler! But with no other negative effects. I pushed the physical aspect (just a little) and feel that it has certainly not hurt my physical status. Which feels good, so my mental status also benefits.

End of the day and I work on my "internal" environment: I eat a hearty dinner. And perhaps a bit more than hearty... I'm still hungry but one of my regular drugs builds appetite. This is not good for my physical status: I have put on weight and now believe that I will be better off -- physically -- if I lose a bit of weight. As long as my trousers stay up with no need for a belt my mental smugness -- status -- is slightly lowered.

Hmmm... interesting... My brother's six aspects of environment are a good way of looking at what I am doing. And at what I should be doing. But the attempt to get a clear link from the six aspects to my three measures of current status feels... forced.

I may use the six aspects in future blog posts. I won't use them when I update my current status page. Well... probably won't use them :-)

And tomorrow... I expect more physical exhaustion. More satisfaction of social needs. Perhaps more internal challenge but no external problems.

Yes, tomorrow is another day of helping Deb to look after our grandson.

I think that I had better get to bed now and get a good night's sleep... :-)


=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

Hollywood actors are, "vivir en una nube de pedo"... Rita Panahi, The West, 11 Jan 17

====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment