Wednesday, October 18, 2017

morning routine

Mornings seem to be settling into a routine. No, rather, I'm fitting better into the essential morning routine: Certain things to be done each morning, I'm getting into the flow. Next, I suppose, the pattern will be so familiar that I'll be doing without thinking -- and then I'll mess it all up :-)

This morning, for example:

The alarm is set for 6am. I'd like to at least have the option of sleeping for an hour or two extra but radiation treatment is just after 8am, the morning schedule is set round that time.

Two alarms are set: the bedside clock-radio and the more portable tablet PC. I'm still an old man who gets up several times a night to go to the toilet. When I get up close to 5am, that's a good time: I take the tablet downstairs and leave the radio to wake Deb at six.

I leave a trail of lights switched on behind me. That's so that Deb can see that I was conscious enough to at least turn on lights :-) Also, if she does worry (which is less likely now than a month ago) Deb can get up and easily see that I am sitting downstairs in my usual spot, doing my usual stuff.

Downstairs, I take my chemotherapy pill. After a quick check of the spreadsheet that I printed just so that I know what I'm doing. Then I reset the tablet alarm for 30 minutes from now -- when I can start breakfast. Much simpler now that I've dropped the anti-nausea pill, that required a second half-hour non-eating wait.

Now I have a half hour at the PC, generally blogging. No use preparing breakfast in that time... it's too hard to not also eat it :-) If I time this right, I will have time to prepare breakfast before Deb gets downstairs. Then Deb takes over the kitchen for her own breakfast preparations -- including getting out my three with-breakfast pills.

Deb gets out those three pills. That way, she will know when we need more from the chemist. I recognise the pills by shape and size so don't need to check them off against a list. (The one chemo pill that I take by myself -- I still double-check the name against my list...)

Then I start eating. Since I'm slower both eating and getting ready, that timing will get us ready to go at about the same time.

There: the 30-minute alarm has just gone off. I can eat breakfast but I'll finish blogging first. The cat has wandered off, she has her own routine: I hear her meow upstairs, next to Deb... you can guess that Deb feeds the cat.

====

Timing for the morning routine is set by Deb's work and baby-sitting. With some adjustments for my radiation schedule, which will vary from week to week. Which also varies day by day... Some days we rush, other days I wait an hour at the radiation clinic. Today we will need to be there a bit earlier for a just-drop-in blood test.

Oh: the cat's routine is set entirely to suit the cat's stomach.

Each day is routine. The routine varies for each day...


=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." ... Albert Einstein


====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment