Wednesday, October 11, 2017

and later, that same day...

Okay, first radiation treatment, done. Already I'm feeling better.

Start with a blood test, for white platelets (I think)... Something that may be affected by the radiation. So today -- before the first treatment -- provides a baseline.

The blood extraction is as good as painless. (It always is.) I still don't like it. (I never do.) The phlebotomist puts a second plaster on my arm, to get me extra sympathy. (It works, Deb thinks I must have had two pricks.) A good start to the day :-)

At the Genesis clinic: The doctor is reassuring. Reassures Deb that I will be fit to walk -- but not drive! -- after treatment. Or... that I will not be let out :-) Everyone is friendly, helpful, well organised.

I lie back on the table. Close my eyes as the mask goes on. Listen to whatever I'm told, raise a thumb or two in agreement when it seems appropriate. A few lights, a few noises, all is done. All very quick, very easy. As I rejoin Deb... it's impossible to resist... I do a bit of a zombie walk. One smile, a couple of strange looks :-)

Then there's the reassuring nurse to visit.

Expect red, "sunburnt" scalp. Avoid shampoos & moisturisers with scent, extra stuff... here's a brand that we recommend. I'll get Deb to check my scalp: first signs of redness and I'll moisturise... Okay, too late but I'm happy to get a bit (just a bit) burnt before I go wild with possibly unnecessary prevention.

Why will the treatment make me tired? Because there is unavoidable damage to the body, the body needs to work at repair, this takes energy. So I will get tired. Same as after an operation except that any radiation damage is out of sight, inside my head. Okay, that makes sense.

And we go home. For tomorrow, a bus will be the best option. I show Deb the nearest bus stop, she is happy that I can easily walk there.

The first chemoradiotherapy treatment is done.. and it was easy. I now feel a lot better... better that I did before, that is. First time is a worry, from now on it's just routine.

Except, of course, for those possible side-effects...

But even that now seems less important. Now that the process has started, I am far happier :-)

Phew.

=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

Hollywood actors are, "vivir en una nube de pedo"... Rita Panahi, The West, 11 Jan 17

====

Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:



Virus-free. www.avast.com

1 comment:

  1. I reckon your excellent fitness will pay dividends and help you through this with minimum fuss. Cheers Col

    ReplyDelete