Sunday, May 16, 2021

Late Night and Awake

Deb and I spend today -- from 11am to nearly 8pm -- at a road crossing for the Kep ultrarun. The runners run 75 or 100km. Our job is to wait at a road crossing and make sure that they cross safely.

It's a long day. There are ( we hear later) forty runners. It's a long time between runners. That's okay, we enjoy ourselves. It's a beautiful day for being outside.

I'm not trusted as road-crossing guide, I may not notice a car :-)

I walk up the hill to the Glen Forrest Bakery. It's a small place, feels like a family concern. I buy lunch -- salad rolls -- and walk back. Half an hour.

Deb's sister joins us. She brings coffee and delicious cake. Then stays for a few hours. Enjoyable conversation. One of the topics is, What if you can't sleep at night? More on that, later.

By coincidence, some of the sister's family are nearby. More conversation.

The sister goes home. The sun sets. It gets cold but we are warmly dressed. Still enjoying ourselves: sitting, chatting, walking, sitting... waiting. The occasional runner passes by: we like to see them, they like to see us.

The sweeper passes by -- almost eight pm -- no more runners, we can leave. It's been a very pleasant day.
===


Home again. We eat a late second-dinner. (After sandwiches in the park.) Deb goes to bed. I go to bed later, I always take a while to unwind.

Four hours sound sleep... and I'm awake again. I've thought of some things to add to my slowly growing "life story". I'm thinking, remembering, not going back to sleep. So...

I get up again. Type in the newly-remembered incidents. Just a draft, I can tidy it up some other day. The incidents are documented, now I can stop thinking about them. An hour typing. time to go back to bed...

That's what I do when I can't sleep at night. Of course I have trhe luxury of being able to catch up on sleep during the day :-)



Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===

The more things change, the more they stay insane ... per Ginger Meggs
   

1 comment: