Saturday, October 12, 2024

Zimmer challenges

Walking with a zimmer frame looks so easy... it's  not.
Luckily I had a training course.
First... don't steer like a car. To turn, drag it around.
Second, get the right height. The physio says that my loaner is too short and it is.
The frame is for balance but I lean on it and I'm leaning too low so my shoulders ache.
I've just done a few solo laps of the corridor. First "walking" for a week.
Legs feel strong enough but I need to balance without leaning .ie without resting any weight on the frame.
I'll soon be ready for my home zimmer, which will be the correct height.
I tell you, it may look easy ... but it still needed the training course.

And this morning I had a shower... all by myself.
The nurse suggested sitting so I did. I could stand up for a bit but didn't want to try my luck. So I sat.

In the last week I've had one stagger and two falls, none serious. But the second fall came with no warning at all. That worries me.
I now try to walk, stand, sit, move -- as though I could fall at any time. Always ready to reach support.
In the words of Batman: both hands on the Batwheel, Robin :-)


1 comment:

  1. I know what its like to struggle for balance. No fun.

    ReplyDelete